Parenting after 35

The back-handed compliments... ;-)

Does anyone get the "You look great...for your age."

Or, "You're in awesome shape, for someone thirty-five."

Thank you, Students. You will be receiving your D's and F's soon. I'm sure they mean it nicely, but yeesh! I'm not ready for the retirement home! 

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The back-handed compliments... ;-)

• Must be teenagers...lol

I've gotten to the point in my life that I'm secure enough in myself that I don't really care what other people think of me. Of course I don't stand in front of a classroom full of students all day either. :p

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Teenagers have not fully developed their Tact muscles.   A few blows to the side of the head should cure that.

Shake it off, baby!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • They're college students... It's not that I'm insecure. I just wondered what the heck people are thinking when they say things like that. But, thanks! The weather warmed up here, so I've been wearing more fitted, summery clothes, and the back-handed compliments started this week. I figured this board would be my best bet to vent Stick out tongue
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• 35 is really old to an 18 year old.  Consider it a full on compliment.  In a decade they'll realize it's not that far away!
  • imageCbidt's girl:
    35 is really old to an 18 year old.  Consider it a full on compliment.  In a decade they'll realize it's not that far away!

Yes Thank you! I'll keep this in mind; I was just remembering when I was an 18-year-old college student, and we had a fellow dance major who was 26 (who had been a professional ballerina and was coming back to school after "retirement"). We treated her like she was ancient. *face palm* Of course, 26 is the average retirement age for ballerinas, so I guess I'm dead in "dancer years." Smile

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• I used to think 35 was SOOOO old when I was 20.  Now I have to admit, I do look great for a 37-yr-old.  Hell, I look better than lots of 27-yr-olds. 

Right now I'm in the best shape of my life and I love how I look.  I also take fantastic care of my skin and appreciate the compliments.  I'm also a million times more confident than I was when I was younger. 

Just say 'thanks!' and smile to yourself that you indeed do look fabulous! 

• Yeah, it's just teens and college students. I work with 20-somethings, and the late 20's all seem to think I'm their age, until they clue in about L. I also got carded to buy a lottery ticket, the clerk was over 80, and was mortified when I showed him my drivers license. He kept apologizing - I wanted to hug him.

Take the compliment!! You do look amazing.

• Thanks, Everyone! Happy Friday! What happened was I ran a local 5K and got second in my age division (some students ran it, too), so it led to the whole age discussion and, "I didn't know you were 35!" which led to all of the above comments.

Here's to rockin' no matter our age! Stick out tongue 

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Cheers to that! Drinks
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    Cheers to that! Drinks

I just bought some awesome super tall martini glasses yesterday because they were on clearance at our local kitchen store. This reminds me to use them tonight. Thanks! Drinks

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• steverstever member
    I did get that all the time, and often an unqualified assumption that I was in my mid-20's, until I grew a shock of gray hair on the top of my forehead. I'd like to think dyeing it might help the situation. I'll take all compliments, back handed or otherwise.
  • Yeah... I get that. I take it in stride. Or at least I try to.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I used to work in a lock-down program for adolescent and teen offenders. I cracked up the time that two of the teens were talking about how "old" their parents were when one said "Yeah, my mom is old, she's like 35" (My age at the time). So I said, "ahem, you want to rephrase that statement?" To which he turned to me and said, "Oh you're not THAT old Miss Melissa!" hahahahahha Good thing I liked that kid and was able to laugh it off...or I might have lost my job ;)

• aeh72aeh72 member

Not a back-handed compliment, but the other day my hair stylist, who is 26, said something along the lines of, " . . . in your generation, . . . " It was the first time I've ever felt my age (40) and I was so taken aback by the remark!  I suppose we are in different "generations" but, man, that still stung! Sad

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"