June 2011 Moms
Options

sippy cup success tips?

I know someone recently posted this, but I'm more of in a post and run mode today...anyway, we had the transition talk this morning at daycare.  Not an opening over there yet, but I will be doing the paperwork next week and they'll start taking her over for an hour at a time to start getting her used to it.  One thing though is they don't need to do bottles over there.  I've been trying, without much success, to get her used to sippy cups (we've tried various brands/styles).  Can anyone recommend something they've done that has helped?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: sippy cup success tips?

• Options
    milescmilesc member
    I'm curious too, Sophie will use a sippy (spout or straw, doesn't matter) but she don't take it in place of a bottle. She will just take a few sips and set it down and move on her way.
    Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • Options
    Jills83Jills83 member

This is totally gross, V learned how to drink from a cup by drinking bathwater.  Ick! and Embarrassed. We have a cup in the bath to rinse his head.  Last week he started picking it up and putting it to his mouth to take a drink.  The first time he did it was an accident, then he realized that is how it works to get the water in his mouth. He was taking big gulps and then spitting it back in the bath and laughing.

A couple days later the babysitter said he was drinking out of his Tilty cup on his own, no problem. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We're in the same boat.  We have the Avent one that is like a regular cup.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12552728

she does best with this one, but will only drink water and a lot of times I have to help her tip it back.

She will not take formula in it.  My plan is to buy another (we have a pink one) in a different color and use that for milk once she goes to WCM at 1.  I read that they will associate a certain cup with a certain drink, so if LO usually has water in a cup they except water, and they want milk to they refuse it.  Or they expect water, take a drink and then are mad that's it's not water.  

Hoping that's our problem. 

• Options

Does your LO hold their own bottles? As soon as I got DS to hold his bottles, he caught on to the sippy cup thing right after. I think the ones without handles work best for him and he's much better with straw cups. Once he had those down, I gave him a spout cup again and he could handle it.

BUT...he'll only take a sippy with water. No juice. No formula :( He only takes a few sips at a time, he won't drink 8 oz in a sitting. I just bought some Take n Toss sippys to try again with the formula since they have no handles and no valves.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    cvl105cvl105 member

I just kept giving it to her. I let her chew on it and whatnot. Eventually she learned that when she chewed it, water came out (they're soft spouts). And then eventually she learned to suck on it.

We use Born Free sippy cups and I've heard others say their kids did great with them too. Her teacher at daycare said she noticed that kids that used them to have an easier time transitioning, etc. They're worth a shot if you haven't tried them yet.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    imageJills83:

This is totally gross, V learned how to drink from a cup by drinking bathwater.  Ick! and Embarrassed. We have a cup in the bath to rinse his head.  Last week he started picking it up and putting it to his mouth to take a drink.  The first time he did it was an accident, then he realized that is how it works to get the water in his mouth. He was taking big gulps and then spitting it back in the bath and laughing.

A couple days later the babysitter said he was drinking out of his Tilty cup on his own, no problem. 

She actually does do this (I have stacking cups in the tub with her).  Think it is possible that we could actually bypass the sippies and go right to a regular cup?  What is a Tilty cup?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Jills83Jills83 member
    imageSunidaze:
    imageJills83:

She actually does do this (I have stacking cups in the tub with her).  Think it is possible that we could actually bypass the sippies and go right to a regular cup?  What is a Tilty cup?

Tilty cup. Slanted so they don't have to lift it as high to get the liquid out.  V does pretty well drinking out of a regular cup too, but I wouldn't trust him alone with it since he likes to throw things when he's done with them. 

• Options

We use the take n toss straw cups.  We started by doing the thing where I would put my finger over the tip of the straw to trap some water in that and then I'd put the straw in her mouth.  At first, I would just let my finger go so she got the sensation of straw = drink.  I progressively waited longer and longer to release my finger and eventually she started sucking.  As soon as she started sucking, I gave her the cup with the straw and she was pretty much good to go.

Hope that made sense...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"