May 2011 Moms
Options

How did you switch from formula to milk?

My son wont' drink a bottle of milk. I've tried 50/50% formula/milk....any tips on how to transition him to milk.  He likes every food we've given him except apples...so I'm shocked he doesn't like milk and can't blame it on a picky eater...

Re: How did you switch from formula to milk?

• Options
    She drinks 6oz bottles so we started with 4oz formula 2oz milk and are gradually increasing milk.
  • Options

i did gradually like raquellyo

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Did you guys talk to your pediatricians about the switch or just go ahead and do it? My DD is about turn 1 in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if I should start the switch now...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    At the 9 month ck up, our pediatrician told us that we could switch as we got close to a year (we have the 1 yr appt today). After the 9 month, we saw another ped in the office when my son was sick and he told us to hold off until after the 1 yr visit as my husband has bad allergies and dairy is a common thing to be allergic to. SO....probably best to ck w/the pediatrician.
  • Options
    I didn't wait on the doc since I knew it would be the next step.  I didn't blend with formula.  I just gave her small amounts to see how she felt about the taste and how her system handled it.  We're completely off formula now.  I feel like we got a raise!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We were told we could start transitioning at 11 months, and did.

First week was 6 oz of formula with 2 oz of milk. Second week was 4 oz of each. Etc.

• Options
    I did it gradually. First I would sneak an ounce with his formula here and there to watch for any reactions. I moved to one ounce in each 6 oz bottle for a week, 2 oz the next week and 3 oz the following week. After than I just gave him a whole bottle of milk and he took it without any issues. He has been on it since Sunday so it's still new but so far so good. He poop has been different and he is pooping at random times now but I'm hoping that it will regulate.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This was a hard one here with DS2. What it turned out to be was a temperature thing. You may want to try microwaving a little milk to just take the extreme chill off. We had to do that and then just reduced the time slowly. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We just made the switch, cold turkey per our pediatrician's recommendation. She has been fine with the switch (we're only on day 2 but her poops are totally normally and she slurps it down). We still give her two bottles a day (morning and before bed) but other than that she gets a sippy with milk during her meals.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kacellekacelle member

imageBabyBebe1:
    This was a hard one here with DS2. What it turned out to be was a temperature thing. You may want to try microwaving a little milk to just take the extreme chill off. We had to do that and then just reduced the time slowly. GL!

You definitely don't want to microwave it because of hot pockets, but you can warm it like you'd warm bottles in a bowl of warm water.  Not sure if that'd make it difficult to switch to cold milk later on or not! 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    Has anyone switched to milk but also dropped the bottles & only gave a sippy of milk?  I'm not sure if we should do the milk switch first then drop bottles or do it all at once.

• Options
    imagemullenem:

imagejamlsull:
    Has anyone switched to milk but also dropped the bottles & only gave a sippy of milk?  I'm not sure if we should do the milk switch first then drop bottles or do it all at once.

We're doing the sippy switch first and it's going okay.  I'm going to start out with WCM only in sippies and see how it goes.  I'd like to not have to go back to bottles if possible.  IMO, doing all at once makes sense as it's introducing a new thing in a new-ish way.  I feel like it could be confusing to do a new thing in bottles then have to switch it over to sippies later anyway.

That is how I was thinking about it too.  Maybe I should try some in a sippy during the day just to introduce it to her, then replace the morning and night bottles.  I have given her sips of milk already & she seemed to like it so thats good.

• Options
    We did the gradual step down from formula to whole milk.  Right now, DS gets a bottle with 2 oz formula and 4 oz whole milk in the morning and night.  At any other time, he gets a sippy cup with whole milk only or sippy cup with half-juice and half-water.  His birthday is this coming Saturday, and our 1-yr appointment is next week.
  • Options

After we got the ok to switch to whole milk at DD's 12 month check-up, I tried mixing some milk with formula in a couple bottles and she didn't really seem to care for it. So, I just decided to switch cold turkey from bottles to sippy cups with milk. She was confused by the milk in the sippy cup at first, but she eventually got the hang of it and we have been off bottles ever since and never looked back!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"