January 2011 Moms

Potty training?

Has anyone thought about potty training? What are your thoughts on how you plan to approach it and when do you plan to start? I know they can't usually control their movements till around 18months, but what are your plans? Also, are you planning on reading any books about it?

I currently set her on the toilet occasionally, but nothing consistent. I am doing this just so she can start getting comfortable with the idea of it. She hasn't gone in the toilet yet, and nor do I expect her to. I just want her to be more comfortable with it and I think in a couple months if she seems interested I will start being more consistent with it. I also plan to start the toilet book that I have today. It is The Potty Training Book.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty training?

• RedZeeRedZee member

Ugh my MIL was nagging me about this 15 minutes ago. DD can go to the camp DH works at next summer if she's potty trained so MIL thinks she needs to start nagging us about it from now and told us it takes a year to potty train. She even took out a potty training book!

I haven't really thought about it. While I despise changing diapers, having to run to find a bathroom when we're out seems even more annoying so I'm not rushing it for now. I guess we'll start thinking about it in a few months? I'll definitely read a book about it. I don't do anything without reading about it, which is often overkill. Let me know what you think of the book you're reading.

I'm sorry but I don't remember you posting here before. Can you give us a quick intro? (And please keep posting!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Unless DD shows interest in the potty I'm not introducing it until she is 2.

• Loading the player...
  • I'll probably start around 2 ish as well. I havent given it much thought yet.Embarrassed

• DS loves to come in the bathroom when we go, and he will tug at his diaper and say pee so we take his diaper off and let him sit, so far he has never been to the bathroom, and I feel it is a little early but since he shows some interest we have let him, I need to read, I dont know if this is a good or bad idea to be doing.  We are going on a long road trip in July so I do not want him trained before then because there are not always rest areas when you need them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We've done elmination communication part-time since DS was tiny. He gets about half his pees in the potty these days (down from his peak at 9-10 months), but 70-80% of his BMs (down from his peak of 90%), which is normal as kids get more into running around and playing. Even when he pees in his diaper, he usually comes and signs potty to me so he can get changed quickly. We read the book Diaper Free Baby (which is a catchy title, but isn't anti-diaper or anything). He's recently started signing for the potty when we are out and about, so we just got a foldable potty seat but have yet to use it.
  • RedZeeRedZee member

imagepixieprincss:
    We've done elmination communication part-time since DS was tiny. He gets about half his pees in the potty these days (down from his peak at 9-10 months), but 70-80% of his BMs (down from his peak of 90%), which is normal as kids get more into running around and playing. Even when he pees in his diaper, he usually comes and signs potty to me so he can get changed quickly. We read the book Diaper Free Baby (which is a catchy title, but isn't anti-diaper or anything). He's recently started signing for the potty when we are out and about, so we just got a foldable potty seat but have yet to use it.

I'm really interested in hearing more about your experiences with this. I very briefly considered trying this. We spoke to a friend who did it and said it worked 50% of the time, so it seemed like it was almost just the luck of the draw. And when I started looking into it, it also seemed like it was the parents that were more trained to look for signs. I couldn't imagine having to focus on that on top of everything else.

You're a SAHM, right? ('cause if it's just part time it wouldn't work as well?) What signs do you look for?

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • imageMom2Mack1:
    Unless DD shows interest in the potty I'm not introducing it until she is 2.

This exactly.

• I'm with Redzee in that I'd rather change a diaper than use a public restroom. I skeeve (is that the right spelling) bathrooms!! Ew gross. I really wanted JT to be a boy because I was so terrified of a girl needing to sit. Then I realized that boys will still poop in public so heh!

I don't know when I'll start but I like the book recommendations cause that'll give me a starting point at least. My Nanny bought him a potty for Easter but it is in the box in his closet. 

• I won't even start looking at it until he is 2.  My older son went to daycare and they told us when they thought they were ready.  Justin was 2 years & 8 months.  He did really well except he would always poop in his pants as soon as we got home from daycare even though he had pooped/peed there are all day.   It took me 3 months to break him of that habit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsLynnyD:

I'm with Redzee in that I'd rather change a diaper than use a public restroom. I skeeve (is that the right spelling) bathrooms!! Ew gross. I really wanted JT to be a boy because I was so terrified of a girl needing to sit. Then I realized that boys will still poop in public so heh!

I don't know when I'll start but I like the book recommendations cause that'll give me a starting point at least. My Nanny bought him a potty for Easter but it is in the box in his closet. 

There are portable potties guys, we have one. We leave it in the car and take her there when she has to go lol. We have this one:

https://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=131469&RN=7054&&

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"