April 2011 Moms
Options

Still not STTN

My LO is 13 months now and has never STTN. Not one single night. He isn't getting up just once either, it's 2 or 3 times. He demands a bottle and won't settle for anything else. I feel at this point it's habit. Any suggestions on how to get my LO to STTN?

Re: Still not STTN

• Options
    Is it always you giving it to him? This is totally random, but I was always the one to get up with DS. I was terrified because even when I went into the hospital for my c/s with DD he was still waking up at night. When I got back from the hospital he was sttn... bizarre. Nobody let him CIO- DH, MIL, and FIL were all here. He would cry and they would go in and soothe him and give a bottle if necessary.Then when I was back DH still had to be the one to go in since I couldn't pick him up for 2 weeks. It's weird, but we really think it was just because he realized that I wouldn't be the one to come in there. Makes me feel good, lol,  but maybe it was just a weird coincidence? Worth trying to get your DH to take over nighttime? There are many "sleep training" methods out there though if you want to look into one. He definitely doesn't need the bottle anymore though!
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options
    DD is like your LO 2-3 times a night its tiring but its either do sleep training or leave it be. I decided its already been 13 m why sleep train now lol. Maybe try leaving a bottle of water in the crib. See if that helps. Or try watering down the milk slowly at night until it becomes water and adventually will know it is only water at night and not get up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My LO was the same until recently. The first thing we did was take the bottle away at night. I thought this would be impossible, and the first night was hell. We were up basically all night long and I tried soothing in every possible way and was determined not to give in. We survived and the next night was easier because he knew he wasn't getting a bottle. My pediatrician told me that they like to go back to sleep the same way they went to sleep initially - so we also cut out bottles at bedtime. I would do anything it took, but refused to give him a bottle. Just loaded him up while he was still awake and happy. He now doesn't expect it, which is great.

The second thing that helped was ear tubes. He must've really been hurting because he sleeps much better now. Though, he's currently cutting two teeth and waking up again, but I can handle it knowing it's temporary.

GL - I feel for you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    drpaynedrpayne member

Ferber.

Also, we went cold turkey on cutting bottles and our kid surprised us.  I was sure he wouldn't nap without them...and his naps are longer than ever.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"