April 2012 Moms

Blowouts or diarrhea?

Ok so for the last few days DS has had a blowout a day.

He's exclusively breast fed and his poops have always been very soft and yellow or orangy.  Sometimes they are seedy and sometimes they look like smooth baby food consistency.

Monday his diaper leaked a little (found a quarter size stain on his onesie) so we sprung a leak around the leg hole of the diaper.  Tuesday night when we got up for his night feeding I changed him and he had blown out of the diaper and it was rather messy, very extra soft but not pure water or anything (it was a large load though--his last poop before that had been nearly 24 hours prior).  Tonight he leaked out the leg hole of a diaper (I had been wearing him in a carrier and the way he way laying I think the leg band may have stretched open).

It's hard to tell just HOW watery it is.  The fact that it's leaking out makes it appear to be watery to me, but it does look like there is a little more consistency when I look at it in the diaper (seems to be like extra smooth pureed baby food, but some areas look to have soaked in much more which makes me guess it's too wet).  The clothing stains look watery and bright yellow.

He's not overly warm or feverish.  He's not having trouble eating.  Doesn't seem to be fussy or in pain.  His urine is still clear or light yellow.  He has been very tired but he;s always kind of tired and I have a feeling the clustering he did the other day was storing up for a growth spurt that he may be processing by sleeping more lately.

Since he seems otherwise well should I assume it's just the diapers failing us?  Or is the fact that he keeps blowing out indicate that his poop might be more like diarrhea?  At what point do I start worrying and calling a doctor?

Re: Blowouts or diarrhea?

• CTri17CTri17 member

nope sounds totally normal and like BF poop!

if it was diahrrea it would be VERY watery (that's what they consider it when they are very  young) what you are describing is normal 

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Normal BF poop!!  Not to worry.  We have a blowout/leak a day lately.. Almost all of DS poops are like this and he poops 10+ times a day, seriously.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • So what would I look out for then to distinguish normal BF poop from diarrhea?  I mean, it's pretty watery to have leaked the way it has.  (Tuesday night was pretty epic in the diaper, it was a huge load but he hadn't pooped in nearly 24 hours.  And tonight was pretty darn wet but not all over the diaper, I think the leak was the result of the way he laid in the carrier because ti was concentrated to one side of the diaper).

I guess I would then be looking for other signs in conjunction with super wet poops...?  Like (duh) they'd be coming more frequently than once a day probably, right?  lol.  I'm such a newb.

• imagekissyfitt:

I guess I would then be looking for other signs in conjunction with super wet poops...?  Like (duh) they'd be coming more frequently than once a day probably, right?  lol.  I'm such a newb. 

Yep.  Fever, off his feed, drowsier than usual.  What you're describing sounds normal to me.. both my kids had watery poop at this age.  It sounds like liquid when coming out too - squirts, lol. 

• Thank you, ladies!

And his poops do always sound like squirts.  It's both hilarious and sad at the same time.  And he always makes surprised facial expressions.  LOL

• I agree this is totally normal, DS had regular blow outs until we started solids at 6 Months! I always kept a gallon size Ziploc with a change of clothes in it in the diaper bag along with a tiny Tupperware with baby oxyclean so I could treat the clothes immediately even if out
  • CTri17CTri17 member
    I also think that for most pedi's to consider it diahrrea it has to be 10-12x in 24 hours AND watery
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• My baby is FF but she poops like this. She poops usually once a day or every other day. I was worried about it because we have blow outs and the consistency but at her 2 week pedi appt she pooped in the office. The nurse saw the poop diaper and said it was fine! 

Lillian April 17, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"