April 2011 Moms
Options

S/O Time Photo: How Old is Too Old?

How old is too old, in your opinion, for a child to be nursing?

For me, personally, once the kid is 4-5 (or starting school) they are old enough to be done breastfeeding. I also can't really fathom how my 4 year old would even fit in my lap comfortably to nurse. I am planning to let DD self wean, presumably sometime after her 2nd birthday.

ETA: Here is a very interesting piece by an anthropologist on the "natural" age of weaning for mammals and how it relates to humans. I thought I'd share because I found it very thought-provoking. https://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

Old nestie, new name: formerly ckolak:-)
imageimage
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Mama's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird

Re: S/O Time Photo: How Old is Too Old?

• Options
    TwirpleTwirple member
    I remember watching a youtube video of a mother that nursed her older daughter until she was 5, when she self weaned, and who was still nursing her younger daughter at age 8.  They had names for their mothers breasts and drew pictures of them.   They would describe breastmilk as "the best thing in the world, better than melon.".  To me, this is too old.  I have transitioned Chase to WCM at daycare and during the day at home, but I still BF him in the morning, at night, and if he wakes up during the night.  I will continue to do this until he self weans or at least until 18 months, if not longer, as long as my supply holds up.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options

My "hippie" mom friends nursed until 3, so I guess that seems "normal" to me. They're the only "in real life" friends I have who I've ever talked about parenting with. I know that I'm hoping to make it until 2. I don't think I'd go past 3, not for any reason, just that's sort of the end of the "normal for me" continuum.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

For me, 2 would be the limit. 

I have 2 people close to me that nursed to 2.5 and 3.5.   Great for them, but I couldn't.

• Options
    mrambo3mrambo3 member

My entire family couldn't believe that I nursed past 6 months. I got so sick of listening to them say "you're still nursing?!". DS self weaned about a month ago and continued to pump and use my freezer stash which got us to my 1 year goal. I always thought I'd be able to make it to at least 18 months, if not 2 years but obviously that decision was made for me. I'll make the same choices for our future children. Anything past 2 is uncomfortable for me, but more power to women who make it well past that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    siajarasiajara member
    So, before I had DD, I totally side-eyed our friend who was still bf'ing her 22 month old boy.  (Yeah, he wasn't even two - but he was huge and removing her shirt in public!).  Now of course, I am most definitely going to be bf'ing DD at least until she is 16 months old and probably until she is two.  Past that I think I am done, but I certainly feel bad for judging my friend - having a kid has totally changed my views on the topic!
    bfp 4/8/2010, m/c 4/16/2010
    bfp 7/31/2010, dd born 4/2011
    bfp 2/7/2014, edd 10/19/2014, m/c 2/25/2014
    bfp 5/22/2014, edd 1/27/2015, MMC 6/30/2014, D&C 7/8/2014
  • Options

imageTwirple:
    I remember watching a youtube video of a mother that nursed her older daughter until she was 5, when she self weaned, and who was still nursing her younger daughter at age 8.  They had names for their mothers breasts and drew pictures of them.   They would describe breastmilk as "the best thing in the world, better than melon.".  To me, this is too old.  I have transitioned Chase to WCM at daycare and during the day at home, but I still BF him in the morning, at night, and if he wakes up during the night.  I will continue to do this until he self weans or at least until 18 months, if not longer, as long as my supply holds up.

I know exactly the video you mean! That struck me as weird, too. Maybe the naming part was what really did it for me, but 8 years old is just too old, I think, especially considering that the oldest "normal" age of weaning I've seen referenced was 7.

Old nestie, new name: formerly ckolak:-)
    imageimage
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Mama's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird
  • Options
    There is no age for me.  I don't understand cut-offs.  When your baby/child is done, they'll stop, until then, it's great for them.
  • Options

imagemalloryjean:
    There is no age for me.  I don't understand cut-offs.  When your baby/child is done, they'll stop, until then, it's great for them.

I call BS. So, if your LO wants to continue nursing when they're 8, it's fine with you? What about 10? 14? 22? You must think there is an age where it gets inappropriate or weird.

• Options
    For me, between 2 and 3. And sorry, but I'm not just talking about how long I'd be comfortable nursing. I would side eye another mother nursing her 3 year old. Flame away.
  • Options
    imagemadamsmurfette:

imagemalloryjean:

I call BS. So, if your LO wants to continue nursing when they're 8, it's fine with you? What about 10? 14? 22? You must think there is an age where it gets inappropriate or weird.

I'm sure by then they'll want to stop.  

As long as my baby needs breastfeeding for reassurance/getting to sleep/comfort/added nutrients, I'm just not going to impose an age limit.   And right now, my baby is definitely not ready, and I don't see him being ready for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"