Military Families
Options

Med board experiences

So it seems like DH will be going through Med board soon and unfortunately he just isn?t a great talker and he cant explain army-related things so I will understand them. Anyone around here with experiences? Just tell me everything I should know. TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!image

Re: Med board experiences

• Options

Well, It's very different for everyone. My husband, is also in the process of being med-boarded for Asthma. He keeps me very well informed luckily. They typically take an average of 9 months. Longer if his unit gets deployed in the middle of that. It's not supposed to, but rear-detachment doesn't really push paper work as well. ahaha I haven't really heard of anyone (at least at our base) get med boarded faster. Chaptered out, yes. Depending on what he is getting med boarded for will vary what percentage you get, if you get enough to be consider "retirement" or not, and how his experience will go. Since my husband is going for Asthma he will be getting around 50% benefits. Anything OVER 30% is considered to be retirement, which means a pay check for life, covered in tricare, and all that jazz. Anything less they will give you a pretty large sump of money, basically a severance package and send you on your way. 

The way the med-board process goes is again different for everyone. So far my husband has appointments quite often. Also he isn't allowed to leave the area for 2 months, In order to ensure he makes ALL of his VA meetings. He's gone through doctors visits. Once everything is processed the board will review his case. SOME CASES they do elect to keep the Soldier in, with just a permanent profile. Depending on his MOS and if the medical problem effects it.  My husband does have a chance of staying in since his MOS is 25N. The med-board is the only place that has the ability to give a permanent profile for running. I'm not super hopeful, but who knows! ahaha  

I hope that kind of helped you? haha if you have any other questions feel free to ask me!  Just be supportive, let him know you support him fully and if he wants to talk your there! :) I know how men can be about talking sometimes. haha  

Good luck with everything! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes, I was medically retired.  Understanding that everyone has a different experience, here is an overview of mine: Summer 2007, diagnosed with significant vision problems.  Spring 2008 my unit deployed, I stayed back and med board process was started.  Summer 2008, several surgeries.  Fall 2008, pre-retirement classes, many VA and service-directed medical appointments.  March 2009, received notification that I would be granted a medical retirement.  Two weeks later, I worked my last day, and my official retirement day was 31 May 2009. 

I was placed on the Temporary Disabled Retired List (TDRL) and so I potentially could have been returned to active duty.  I'm not sure why they did this, I was never going to get my vision back.  At 18 months out I had a follow-up appointment, and in December 2011 I was fully retired. 

Expect things to move slow.  Your husband might not say much because there really isn't much information for him.  It is also an emotional thing, to be told that you aren't "enough" to do your job anymore.  If he won't talk to you, see if he will talk to someone else (friend/counselor/clergy).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"