Food Allergy
Options

Starting solids

DD has a dairy allergy -- we are not even under control yet.  She is still very itchy, although she does not seem to have an active eczema right now.  She just switched from BM to Nutramigan 2 days ago.  I stopped BFing because after a month of eliminating dairy and soy, I suspect she is allergic to more than just dairy.

With all of that said - I started DS on solids at 4 months old.  Did anyone delay starting solids solely becuase their child has allergies?  Or does it not really matter?

TIA

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Starting solids

• Options

Kind of in the same boat. DD just turned 6 months old, and we had been sticking with rice cereal only, which is fairly un-allergenic. We are still waiting on bloodwork on her allergies, but in the meantime we've gotten the go-ahead to start other foods verrrry slowly, staying away from the top 8, mangoes, berries, and other more allergenic type foods for now. We are going to start with sweet potatoes, avocados, and bananas, and see how things go from there, but only introducing one food a week.

GL!

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • Options
    pawcallpawcall member
    I guess I did, although in our case it really didn't matter.  We found out about his soy allergy at 4w old and I put the brakes on solids.  I went soy-free and he was more or less okay (no hives or vomiting) though he still refluxed a lot and had eczema.  At 6m, I finally started solids (made by me, so no soy contamination) and he was a disaster.  Fast forward 3 miserable months and we found out he has EoE/EC and has zero safe foods.  Oops.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    pawcallpawcall member
    imageChristine&Mario:

Kind of in the same boat. DD just turned 6 months old, and we had been sticking with rice cereal only, which is fairly un-allergenic. We are still waiting on bloodwork on her allergies, but in the meantime we've gotten the go-ahead to start other foods verrrry slowly, staying away from the top 8, mangoes, berries, and other more allergenic type foods for now. We are going to start with sweet potatoes, avocados, and bananas, and see how things go from there, but only introducing one food a week.

GL!

Is mango highly allergenic?  I have a severe mango allergy, but I've never met anyone else with one.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    imagecdobry01:
    imageChristine&Mario:

GL!

Is mango highly allergenic?  I have a severe mango allergy, but I've never met anyone else with one.

According to my pedi, it's common enough that she wants us to stay away for now. Mangoes and berries were the only fruits she specifically mentioned but I think we'll also stay away from kiwi. I want to go at this suuuuper carefully.

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • Options
    NiniJ55NiniJ55 member
    Thanks guys.  I will see what her pedi says at her appointment next week.  It's our first appointment since testing positive and her first appointment since switching from BM to nutramigen
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    mine wants us to wait until 6 months
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"