April 2012 Moms
Options

Engorged on one side - help!

I woke up this morning super engorged on one side! I'm going to have lopsided boobs...I've been trying to switch off between the two, but it's hard b/c sometimes he only takes one boob and sometimes two. I pumped a little to relieve the engorgement, but now I'm wondering if I should do anything different with that side in terms of nursing? Also, can I use the milk that I pumped from that side? I'm thinking it's mostly foremilk, since I didn't pump for very long. TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Engorged on one side - help!

• Options
    LesleyTLesleyT member

Happened to me last week and I googled like crazy. My boobs were lopsided for days, but I got them evened out again. Careful with the pumping- only pump just enough to ease the pain if you REALLY have to. You really want to make sure the smaller one gets the action to even it out. Use warm compresses on the larger breast to ease pain, etc. Each time you let LO nurse on a breast, it stimulates milk production, and each time you don't nurse a breast, it tells your body to decrease production- so, all supply & demand. Always alternate breasts- and if LO only nurses a short time on one side, and he cluster feeds in a close time frame, get LO to nurse from that breast again....trying to get equal opportunity on both sides will hopefully get you back to equal size.

They also say it happens to your strong arm/hand. i.e., if you're right handed, your right breast will be more productive, etc.   

I can sympathize- freaked me out- I was worried one breast had a problem or couldn't produce- all kinds of things ran thru my head- not to mention I didn't like the look of a huge boob and a smaller one! Good luck, hope this helps a little

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would start him on the engorged side next feeding. If he really doesn't take one side I would pump after feeding. You can store milk in the fridge for 24 hours or just put it in the freezer for storage for a later date.

My boobs sometimes had a hard time emptying with the Medela pump and I used to put my kids to breast to relieve it ( I mostly pumped because we needed to know calories) or I would use the hand pump I had because it seemed to empty better. When you are pumping massage the bumps and push down, you can also take a hot shower or but warm cloth to help hopefully. 

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you just engorged or do you think you have plugged ducts? I make waaayyy more milk on my left side (and I'm right handed) ever since I had plugged ducts on my right side 4 days pp. I don't look lopsided, even after not pumping for hours. I pump both sides evenly, and have since I got home from the hospital (LO is 7 weeks old today). When my ducts were plugged a hot shower, warm compresses and heating pads were my best friends. While I was in the shower, I would use my hand to try to get any milk I could out of the side that was plugged up to relieve pressure. I continued to pump the left side for LO's meals. Once I was unplugged I started taking lecithin to keep from plugging back up. And yes, the milk is safe to give to LO...from both sides.
  • Options
    JFH2010JFH2010 member
    Thank you! I'll try the things you all recommend. I'm not sure if it could be a plugged duct - there's definitely one lump on the side that isn't going away. I'll consult Dr. Google tomorrow. Thanks again!
  • Options

imageJFH2010:
    Thank you! I'll try the things you all recommend. I'm not sure if it could be a plugged duct - there's definitely one lump on the side that isn't going away. I'll consult Dr. Google tomorrow. Thanks again!

I had the same problem today. It was a plugged duct (according to my OB which I saw today). I freaked out cause it was a hard lump. Felt a little bruisey.  I was also wondering why I wasn't getting enough milk from that boob.  While pumping (one boob a time for this purpose), I massaged the lump with one hand (from top tobottom).  My boobs felt 10x better and I got more milk. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"