3rd Trimester
Options

husband at internal exams?

do you ladies have your husbands go with you to your internal exams?  My husband has been with me to every appointment but I just wonder if her needs to be there for my internal exams.  I am obviously comfortable with him but there is something weird about him watching the doctor put instruments in there and stuff.  Just wondering if I am the only one weirded out by this.  TIA

Re: husband at internal exams?

• Options
    he'll see them during labor. Might as well get used to them now  =)
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i'm not weirded out by it, but i think my H is slightly.  I have my first internal next week and i'm not sure he's planning to go.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why is it weird?
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

He's going to mine today. He's seen it all before anyway. ;)

Dh lol'd in the Dr's office when he saw the wand they were going to use for my internal u/s at 8wks. He's a peach like that. ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You think he won't see all that and more when you deliver?  He will!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    He hasn't come to my 38- or 39-week ones (the only two I've had so far), but he's coming to my 40-week because a) this doctor weirds me out a little, and b) we'll be scheduling an induction. I don't love him being there for internals, but so long as he isn't there for them all the time, it's ok with me.
  • Options
    If he was there for the vaginal u/s how is this any different?
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DH goes to every appointment with me that he can.  It doesn't bother either one of us.
  • Options

First, the doctor doesn't put any instruments in there.  My doctor just uses her hand and I'm pretty sure that's the norm.

I like DH to be there so that he can help listen to what the doctor has to say and he has a chance to ask his questions too.  Sometimes I forget what the doctor says and it's nice to have a second set of ears.  He didn't go to tummy checks that much, but he's come to every appointment in the past 4 weeks.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageStellasmom:

Dh lol'd in the Dr's office when he saw the wand they were going to use for my internal u/s at 8wks. He's a peach like that. ;)

Same here.  He goes when he can, regardless of what might be happening at the appointment.

• Options
    He will be there, but I won't be having an internal until 38 weeks.  But he was there for my vaginal u/s at 7 weeks and my pap exam at 9 weeks.  I dont think he was weirded out there but he did mention how he liked seeing the doctor (a female) do my breast exam (he's a dork that way). 
  • Options

I can understand how it would be a little weird.

When I got waxed a few months ago, my husband asked if that bothered me, revealing ALL my stuff to a stranger. I told him that after my miscarriage last year, the D&C and all my recent baby appointments, I felt like pretty much everyone had been down there already. He seemed turned off by that.

Since then, I try to shield him from as much of the clinical realities of girldom.

• Options
    He's going to see  A LOT during delivery, so you might as well let him get warmed up to it now.  Plus, if it's "just" an internal, there shouldn't be any instruments, just fingers.  Even if it's your GBS, it's just a cotton swab, not a speculum.
  • Options
    He went with me to my early ultrasounds which were also "internals."  I think these are great opportunities for DH to become more comfortable with the doctor and with all of the poking and prodding that goes on during labor and delivery.  I want him to feel like part of the process.
  • Options
    My 1st internal is next week and DH will be there, as he has been to every appointment.  I don't find it weird at all....he was at my 1st u/s (vaginal) and it's not like he hasn't seen it all before. 
  • Options
    yes, he goes with me to every appointment.  It wasn't weird at all for us, took 2 minutes max.
  • Options
    He can stand by your head, but I made my DH leave the room for my internal.
  • Options

My DH has come ot every appointment except two (one he was out of town for and the other was the 3 hour glucose test). He will come to every appointment until I give birth, internals included.

He is freaked out by the idea of internals but he's seen those parts before and he will be in the room when the baby is born, so he needs to get over it now.....

• Options
    my husband is a doc and has delivered babies, so he's perfectly fine with it.
  • Options

Yes he's coming.  He came to the first appointment when I had a pap too.  Its not like he has to sit down at that end.

If you are weirded out by this then you are going to be really weirded out come delivery, no? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"