Adoption
Options

Is it possible to adopt a child over 18?

I know kids usually become emancipated when they turn 18.  However my husband and I are thinking in the future of taking in older foster children.  I think it would be great if we aimed at an age where they are about to be emancipated or just recently were (if that's possible).  Our medical insurance would allow them to be covered if we adopted them, but I'm wondering if you can even do a legal adoption after 18?

ETA:  We'd only adopt them after 18 if they wanted to be adopted, and making it formal is a big deal in terms of them qualifying for lots of our company benefits.

Re: Is it possible to adopt a child over 18?

• Options

I think it's possible, but rare and difficult.

I think it would be a better idea to look for kids who are getting close to aging out of the system. Say, 16 or 17.

• Options
    imageDr.Loretta:

I think it's possible, but rare and difficult.

I think it would be a better idea to look for kids who are getting close to aging out of the system. Say, 16 or 17.

I agree. 

If this is the route you decide to take, you should look into scholarship opportunities for students who were in fostercare or adopted as teenagers.  My alma mater has a great program called Seita Scholar.  https://www.wmich.edu/fyit/About/scholarship.html

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Lurker here:

My parents adopted 2 of my sisters after they turned 18. It was much cheaper and faster had they tried to do it before they were legal adults.  There were two reasons my parents did it this way. 1.  Each girl had to make an adult decsion to become part of our family forever.  2.  They had to attend college (they needed my parents for help with financial aid).   My parents didn't care so much about the paper but wanted both of them to know that they picked our family. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes, it is. I actually work with older teens in the foster care system. Some had disrupted adoptions, or were never adopted. They still want to be part of a family. Young adults still need guidance to navigate the world. Maybe you could start by contacting your local DSS office/CPS office and ask about being a visiting resource for older teens or college students? Sometimes we are looking for places for youth to go on college breaks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"