Military Families
Options

Any other Active Duty Mommas Out There?

Hey guys, having my first baby in late July, if there are any of you that are active duty and have had babies already, when did your pre-maternity leave start? And was it up to your command or up to your doctor? Please let me know, trying to guesstimate when or if I can have any time off prior to LO's arrival.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any other Active Duty Mommas Out There?

• Options
    I recently left AD and do the Guard thing now but I have no kids so I'm not much help. Military Nesties is much more active and one of the regulars(MrsOjo) is currently pregnant with twins and I believe she is separating. You might try over there for more responses.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options
    CaliValCaliVal member
    Thank you! I appreciate the help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When you say pre-maternity leave are you talking about the 40 hrs a week rule?

If so that happens at 28 weeks.

• Options
    I am active duty, pregnant, and have 1 DD7. I know it was awhile ago and things change all the time, but for me, there was no pre-maternity leave. Your doctor can recommend to your commander that you only work a shortened day, but you aren't garanteed approval for it. If you want pre-maernity leave, just take some leave. If you go into labor during that time, the leave will be canceled from that date forward and you aren't charged for it. Again, this could have changed, AND each service is a little different so ask your doctor and your personnel shop. The worst they can do is say no.
  • Options

imagetammi!!:
    I am active duty, pregnant, and have 1 DD7. I know it was awhile ago and things change all the time, but for me, there was no pre-maternity leave. Your doctor can recommend to your commander that you only work a shortened day, but you aren't garanteed approval for it. If you want pre-maernity leave, just take some leave. If you go into labor during that time, the leave will be canceled from that date forward and you aren't charged for it. Again, this could have changed, AND each service is a little different so ask your doctor and your personnel shop. The worst they can do is say no.

This was totally my experience almost three years ago when I had my DD. My 8hr days were denied, as we were in major gear up mode for a readiness inspection and the whole base was working 12s. I even worked a full day (and attended mandatory flight PT) while having apparently in labor (I'm weird and didn't realize that's what was going on). Anyway, I didn't even ask for leave before my due date since I wanted to save it for after my maternity leave so I could take my DD home to meet the rest of the family.

Fast-forward almost three years and a co-worker was authorized 4 hour days starting at 35 weeks (we don't have an inspection going on right now) and she started personal leave this week, almost two weeks before her due date, because she was so afraid of going into labor at work.

It doesn't hurt to ask your command, like PP said, the worst they can do is deny it.

• Options

I separated last year, but I was AD when I had DS.  I planned to work up until I delivered.  I ended up going on 4 hr days at 37 weeks at the recommendation of my doctor because I was starting to have blood pressure issues.  DS was born 3 days later. 

You can request regular leave before your due date.  I personally did not plan to.  I may have if I had gone overdue.  I did take an extra 2 weeks of regular leave after my 6 week maternity leave, which I was very glad I did. 

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you have no complications, you don't get a pre-maternity leave (unless you go on annual leave). I worked up until about 10 hours before my c-section, and, no, I was not given eight weeks of maternity leave, only the standard six.
  • Options
    The only way you'll get 'pre-maternity' leave is if you're having complications.
    Keep track of your working hours because your command won't. Make sure you know the pregnany instructions because you're the only one that can take care of you, it's not your boss's job to make sure you are getting everything you need while you're pregnant. (sorry if that sounds harsh, but thats just how it is)
    You'll get 6 weeks after you're released from the hospital for regular maternity leave. MAYBE 8 weeks if you had a C section, doctor reccommended.
    Like they said earlier, drop a leave chit if you want time off before hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"