January 2011 Moms

Table food

Hey there everyone!  I am having some issues and was wondering if anyone else is having the same challenges.

How did you transition from jarred food to cut up food?  DS is okay with crackers, cheerios, cheese, some fruit, and non messy foods.  I am having trouble getting him to eat other things I cook (veggies and meat).  I usually just end up getting another jarred veggie or whatever and give that to him.  He loves pasta, but won't have anything to do with the pasta I make.  I am not sure if he's at a point to know where I will always have blended food for him.   

Should I just go cold turkey with the jarred food?  Any suggestion would be helpful!

Thanks!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Table food

• When we started transitioning to table food I just did it slowly starting at around 9-10 months.  We quickly found what he liked & didn't like.  Joshua still is not crazy over meats but will eat boiled or scrambled eggs like they are going out of style. When he first started eating table foods he loved peas & carrots - now he is not very crazy over them - even in this short time his tastes are changing.  Keep offering the foods - he may surprise you one day.

If he continues to refuse table food I would bring it up at your 18 month appointment just to rule out any issues. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just keep offering them, and cut the jarred food completely.  DD always gets what we're eating, she doesn't always eat much.  She is antsy sitting at the table.  Lately she has been crazy over meat - ham, chicken, steak. 

I know with DD she always wants what I eat.  Are you all eating the same things at mealtime?

• Loading the player...
  • I have a super picky eater and can't figure out how to expand what he eats other than continually offering and hoping that one day he'll pick it up and eat it.

This actually happened with corn this week - he ate it, liked it, and has had it 3 times already this week. This is after months of NO VEGGIES at all except for what I could get him to eat in a pouch!

Meats he throws on the floor. We don't always offer meat since we ourselves eat like crap but when I have real food and it's ready by the time he eats, I throw some on his tray. He tastes it, puts it back in his hand and throws it every.time.

I will keep trying!!  

• Get rid of the jarred food. We stuck with jarred food too long with DS because I was FTM nervous of starting table food. He's the pickiest eater ever. I give him a plate of whatever we are eating, plus something that I know he'll for sure eat. 

Example: Chicken fettuccine alfredo & baby carrots (things he won't eat) with strawberries and garlic bread (things he will eat) 

Occasionally he'll try something new from his plate, but usually just eats what he's used to and knows.

If I just gave him what we were eating and he refused it, I can't let him go hungry, so I go get him something he will eat. All that teaches him is that he can whine to get out of trying new food and get what he wants.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RedZeeRedZee member

We did a mix of Baby Led Weaning and jarred foods. At this point, I'd probably go cold turkey and get rid of the jarred foods. The first day, I'd give things that you know he likes to eat. The second day, I'd offer things that he won't try. He won't let himself go hungry. If he misses a meal, it's not the end of the world. But he can't eat purees for the rest of his life and needs to learn to eat regular food.

I know this sounds harsh, but at least it's more or less what my pedi said.

I started out offering vegetables to DD. She really likes veggies now and is not super picky. I've seen some changes in her tastes (she loves bananas now but hated them until last week, she switched from scrambled eggs to hard boiled), but overall she'll try things and eats what we eat.

A lifesaver food option for me are frozen veggie burgers (make sure the ones you get aren't too spicy. Dr. Praeger's california burgers work for us). Also try baked sweet potatoes and squash. Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • We all but skipped the purees, so I don't have a tonof advice for you. I will say though, that if I let her interact with food or do it herself, she's way more into eating... sweet potato fries with guac,for instance, goes.over way better than just fries, because she can dip and eat hrself, and both those are better than me feeding her mashed sweet potatoes.
  • RedZeeRedZee member

Ditto Broc's point of letting them interact with food. When DD was first having solids, I pretty much just fed her before bath time 'cause it was so incredibly messy. If she isn't really eating, I'll put a tiny bit of ketchup or hummus or some other dip on her plate and she'll start dipping her food and then eating it.

Also, if you can eat at the same time LO does, it might help him eat and give him a good example.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"