Adoption

Parent/Child Letters

I am stuck. I can't think of anything to write. How is this the hardest part of the profile book for me??? ugh.
Chasing Down Dreams
TTC #1 Since 11/07
BFP: 5/20/11 Ectopic:5/31/11

Re: Parent/Child Letters

• We didn't have to do parent/child letters.  I'm not sure I know what you are referring to, so I don't have any advice.  But I wish you the best of luck.  I agonized over several aspects of our profile and it all turned out great in the end.  I'm sure you'll do a great job!
  • What is a parent/child letter?
  • Loading the player...
  • DCFS wants us to write letters to the Birthparents and then to the child we will be fostering to put into our book. I guess so they can show the child the pictures about where they will be and then read to them about us.

Its the one to the parents that im having the most trouble with.  What do the parents who are getting their child take away really want to know about the people that are taking them? I think if I were in their situation, I would care less to read a letter from the foster parents. I would be too pissed/hurt/insert your chosen emotion.

Chasing Down Dreams
    TTC #1 Since 11/07

• imageJerseyGirlAtHeart:

DCFS wants us to write letters to the Birthparents and then to the child we will be fostering to put into our book. What do the parents who are getting their child take away really want to know about the people that are taking them? I think if I were in their situation, I would care less to read a letter from the foster parents. I would be too pissed/hurt/insert your chosen emotion.

They may not all be that way, and they may not always be that way. Some parents whose kids ended up in foster care considered that their rock bottom and were able to get the help they needed. There may be cases where one parent is deeply troubled, but the other parent is actually a decent person in a situation where they just can't raise a child. Maybe looking at it that way will help you write a letter. It's possible that some BPs may never see or care about that letter, but others may cherish it so they know that their child is going to live with a family that will take care of them.

Just my 2c.

• imageDr.Loretta:
    imageJerseyGirlAtHeart:

DCFS wants us to write letters to the Birthparents and then to the child we will be fostering to put into our book. What do the parents who are getting their child take away really want to know about the people that are taking them? I think if I were in their situation, I would care less to read a letter from the foster parents. I would be too pissed/hurt/insert your chosen emotion.

They may not all be that way, and they may not always be that way. Some parents whose kids ended up in foster care considered that their rock bottom and were able to get the help they needed. There may be cases where one parent is deeply troubled, but the other parent is actually a decent person in a situation where they just can't raise a child. Maybe looking at it that way will help you write a letter. It's possible that some BPs may never see or care about that letter, but others may cherish it so they know that their child is going to live with a family that will take care of them.

Just my 2c.

Very True. Thats what I tried to do when I wrote it. Hopefully it is good. My boss liked it. I based it off an example I found online for  Private adotion BM letter and just took out the identifying stuff. Just who we were as individuals and couples and what we like to do.

Chasing Down Dreams
    TTC #1 Since 11/07

• I also had to write one, and like you I found it difficult.  In my letter, I acknowledged it must be hard that their children are not with them, that I would consider an open adoption.  I also said a little bit about us as a couple.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"