Preemies
Options

Hemangiomas

My daughter was born premature at 31 weeks, and has several hemangiomas on her body. So far there are 7, many superficial, however she has one deep on her face. It is located beside her nose and as it increases with size it seems to be pushing up on her eye. 24 hours ago she was started on the drug propranolol and I already see a difference (the lump appears softer and less swollen). Just looking for other parents experiences with hemangiomas and if they were treated or left and how they progressed.

Re: Hemangiomas

• Options
    Hi, my twins girls were born at 34 weeks. Both had a Hemangioma. One daughter had it on her neck which was more just on the surface and my other daughter had one inside her ear on the cartilage which was deeper.  They can grow really fast during their first year but then tend to slow down. I am told that they will not go away until around age 5.  My daughters are 18 months old now.  The one on the  neck is getting smaller and lighter in color and did not require treatment.  The one in the ear did require a steroid injection once when she was a few months old because it was getting so large that it was almost closing the opening of her ear canal which could  have caused big problems with speech/hearing and deforming her ear.  The shot helped, it slowed down the growth until it was able to do that on its own around her first birthday.  She still has it but it has been getting smaller as she gets older.  I don't know too much about the medication your daughter is on but I hope it helps.. good luck! :)
  • Options
    My daughter has one on her spine. She's only nine weeks and doctors are just watching it at this point.
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter has one on her back. She was born at 32 weeks and is now 8 months old. We didn't treat it, and it has gotten significantly smaller, less swollen, and lighter in color over time.  Doc says it will go away on it's own, so we haven't been concerned. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter developed a superficial one on her forehead shortly after her birth.  It grew very slowly for a few months.  Then gradually just faded and is now pretty much completely gone. 
  • Options
    My daughter was born at 31w 5. She developed one on her eyelid at 2 weeks old. Kept getting bigger, until last month put on inderal. Not as fast as I was hoping, but definately getting smaller. She also has one on her back, which is also getting lighter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"