Preemies
Options

cranial helmets

LO prefers to lay to one side & developed a flat spot.  We have been working/positioning him to lay the other way, but the doctors have mentioned that if this isn't successful, he may need a helmet for a few weeks.  I understand that the hats are remolded weekly to help with reshaping?  I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has had this experience.
TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: cranial helmets

• Options

I'd love to hear the replies about this, because the right side of Jack's head is flat for the same reason. Now that he's home, I thought I could just have him lie with his head in different positions to even it out, but he still always turns it to the side. I'm scared it will get worse, not better. When I've asked about a helmet, the doctors brushed me off and said it's too early for that and he won't need one. I'm his mother, though, and I can see that just hoping it will fix itself is not going to work.

I did buy a head positioning thingie the other day which seems to be working pretty well... it keeps him looking up, not to the side, and amazingly it doesn't seem to make him too mad, so I'm hoping that will make a big difference. 

Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Ethan's head has a flat spot  also, and his ear is actually misshapen from sleeping on one side! I see a helmet in our future also, was just talking about  this yesterday. My friend, who's son had one said the earlier it's fixed the better (apparently it's fixed in less time usually).

Bought two Boppy head positioners last night for their Rnp's. Hoping it will help! 

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Snoangel, does he turn his head to that side even in the RnP? Jack seems to look "up" more in the RnP, but still slightly to one side. In any case, it makes sense that the earlier it's taken care of, the more quickly it can be fixed. I don't know why the doctors I asked about it pooh-poohed it and said just wait a year or so. If we wait and he continues to favor that side, it will only get worse, not better!
    Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yes always leans to right. I'll move his head and he'll move it back! haha His sister does the same but her head is perfect... Maybe because it's a lot smaller? haha
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    my 9mo actual/6 mo adj daughter is meeting with plastic surgery on tuesday for a helmet.. she has a definite flat spot on the right side & her ear is a little waverly..  our doc recommend sterry strips (tape) on her ear..  hope this helps to reshape better
    IVF - 9/09 - BFN! :( IVF #2 - ER 3/16; ET 3/18 with one embryo Beta 3/30 -- BFN! :( IVF #3 - 5/10 - BFN! IVF #4 - 11/10 - BFP. m/c at 6weeks :( FET #1 - 2/11 - BFP. beta on 2/21 :) Thank you God! :) u/s on 3/7 showed TWINS! u/s on 3/11 TWO heartbeats! Couldn't be happier :)
  • Options

My boys did almost 6 weeks in DOC bands (helmet brand from Cranial Technologies).  We were referred there in January and they did an evalution which determined they did in fact need helmets for moderate to severe brachycephaly.  We had already done 1-2 months of repositioning and tummy time but it didn't help.  It took almost a month for insurance approval so they didn't get the helmets until February. 

We had to go back once every week to have the helmets adjusted for growth.  They had a big growth spurt during that time and they pretty much out grew the helmets by mid March.  By then the issue was resolved.  I am very happy we did it.  They have to wear them 23 hours a day, but after the first couple days they didn't even seem to notice them much.  The place we went to said we came at the ideal time (started at about 5 months adjusted).  I will say that if you have to pay out of pocket, it can be very expensive.  Fortunately, our insurance and Medicaid paid 100%.

• Options

Brooklyn just got a helmet on the 2nd.  She does not go back for a month to have it re-fitted. 

She has torticollis which causes her to look to the left.  Have you asked to see if they are suffering from this?  Brooklyn has physical therapy to work on loosening up the muscles in her neck.  We really had to push for the helmet because the doctors said that a lot of time the flat places on the head have fixed themselves by 6 months. 

Blake has a little flat place on his head and a slight case of torticollis.  The doctors are confident that his will fix itself.  We are going to see the progress in the next month and then re-evaluate.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers IVF #1 BFP Beta #1 528 & Beta #2 1514
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"