March 2012 Moms

cooking

So do you guys make dinner all by yourself yet? DH is pissed because I don't have dinner ready when he gets home (btw 5-6:45 - who knows, always different) because "he goes to work all day".  Btw, we dont use any canned or package/frozen foods-all from scratch. Like even taco seasoning. I can barely shower/eat luch at this pt. DS is 8 weeks but eats every 1.5 hrs and wants to be held all the time. Am I bad at this or is he being too pushy. Im so stressed out just with the baby- and I have started to cook a couple times but DH always interrupts and hubby ends up cooking.

Re: cooking

• WipzWipz member
    my DH just had 4 days of primary care while I was at work and he had days off.. he wouldn't dare complain anyway.. but he sure wouldn't after  this..and he didnt even have to pump between feeds like I do lol

He got a crash course in  OMG !!! our little man has been a fuss pot for a week or so now and DH is learning real quick  that it's a process of elimination and if he is teething as suspected.. not much gonna cure it but lots of love hugs and ( * ) ( * )'s

soon as he gets to my work at lunchtime and I get in the back seat of the car...he is all smiles. But good gawd this boy decided to prove he has a good set of lungs this week.. our angel grew horns lol

I would explain to DH it's fast food or he helps..  it's tough and even tougher when you both work like we do.. it takes time to get things running smoothly. right now DH is asleep before work, LO is finally asleep and I am pumping and cooking dinner .. Pork roast and  veggies ..and yes be damned they were frozen veggies.

It will get better :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been making dinner since the day we got home from the hospital. DH never cooks. He helps by taking the baby during that time period.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Loading the player...
  • I cook from scratch although there are some packaged sides that I use on occasion (for instance I'm not making my own taco seasonings) but I was up to making meals pretty quickly both times.  I have girl friends who haven't been up to nearly as quickly.  I had girl friends bring me lots of meals this time but was making all our meals by 2 weeks pp and I make a sit down breakfast and dinner every day even weekends.  We go out for cheap dinner about 1x a week.  DH often walks the dog with DD while I tend DS and do dinner if I didn't make a meal I could do ahead.

Perhaps you can plan ahead more.  Today I made pot roast with potatoes and carrots.  I had it all put together during my kids nap (I've trained DS to nap when DD does cuzz NOW I know that it's just that easy!).  The roast even goes in frozen and comes from my folks farm (the from scratch part ;-) 2 hrs at 350 and my house smelled great and the dinner was the bomb.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• My husband and I are both Chefs, it is not often that we have any food that is not made from scratch.  Hell, most of the food we eat comes out of our garden.  However, since our LO arrived we always have one frozen pizza in the freezer.  Of course your husband works hard all day, and he deserves to have a good dinner when he gets home. Guess what, YOU DO TO.  If he is not willing to chip in, and help out when you have been working hard at taking care of you LO all day long then the least he can do is stick a pizza in the oven and be grateful for everything that you do in a day.  When he gets  home give him the pizza, and the LO go take a bath and enjoy a glass of wine, you work hard to.
  • I will always remember the first time I cooked after DS1 was born. I ended up with a mess, food in the baby's hair, etc. It was a nightmare. I had no idea how hard it would be to get a meal made with a newborn. This time, we cooked 30 meals ahead of time and froze them or prepared them for the crockpot so we'd be ready.  It really is hard. 

Today we did Salsa chicken in the crockpot, maybe it would work for you?

Spray CP with cooking spray

Lay in 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts

On that, dump 1 can black beans (undrained) and 1/2 cup brown rice

Dump 1/2 to 3/4 jar your favorite salsa on top. Cook for 6 hours on low.  Serve with cheese and sour cream if you like. Pretty decent, relatively easy.  

• psh, he's being too pushy. DD's 8 wks too (almost) and is the same way with always needing to be held. Some days I get dinner done, other days I dont - DH understands b/c he was on paternity leave for a long time and knows what it's like during the day.

I do mostly dinners that can be prepared earlier in the day... our crock pot is seeing a lot of use, and it's a wonderful tool for having warm, tassty meals ready when he gets home that I made earlier in the day when it was convenient. Also, things like pasta salad work well. 

Does he mind cooking? B/c a few times I've done all the prep work (chopping, slicing, seasoning, etc) when it works for me and he just has to throw it in a pot or on the grill for us when he gets home.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I do the cooking mostly because I enjoy it and DH isn't much of a cook.  However, he would be eating whatever he could scrape together (and be sleeping on the couch) if he gave me crap for not having dinner on the table when he arrived home from work.  My DS wants to be held pretty much all the time too, so unless I magically get a break (and if I do, I usually decide to use that time to take a shower or a nap or eat lunch, not prep dinner) I don't tend to start cooking until DH gets home and can hold DS. 

Sure, your H might go to work all day, but you are working too!  And, depending on what he does, presumably he gets a break at some point during the day.  Most likely he at least has a lunch break, where he gets to sit down to enjoy a meal (using both hands).  I'm guessing he can go to the bathroom without worrying about a crying baby too.  Has he had to take care of the baby on his own for a few hours yet?  He might change his tune.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • I have managed to prep a few times and hubby appreciates it. he has not been alone with lo yet though. When i do hand him off the two of them last only a few minutes before.its back to mommy. hubbyis excellent cooktoo andi am only soso. Ihave hair appt sat so we will shehow daddy alone times goes. he has no idea. thanks all for the crock pot ideas.hopefully lo.will start napping during day motr than 10 min ata ime and i can manage to throw something in lol.
  • Girl... I made a FROM SCRATCH Easter dinner- Pies and all. I had a c-section etc.

But dont BEAT yourself up. This is my 2nd child and I am adjusted to having to juggle. The cooking is the one thing that i am best at. *Sigh*

But yes i am back to cleaning cooking etc. But DH helps out with everything! He is not demanding dinner. If I could be a SHM I would try to make it a point to be Mrs. Clever. Before I came back to work, I actually was getting a pretty good routine.

Dont worry, you will get it down! Can you maybe try some crock pot recipes?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • I cook while DH watches DD, so we eat ~30 min later than we used to.  Sometimes I am lucky and DD naps so I can have dinner ready when DH gets home.  If DD is in a good mood, I might be able to cook while she plays.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am in the same boat as you. DH questions what I've done all day if dinner isn't ready. however he has come home for lunch a few days and seen the chaos that is my day. After that he's backed off a little.

It's hard work taking care of LOs. I try to prep as much as I can the night before while DH is home.

Also LO wants to be held all the time - I would either put him down on an activity mat, put him in a swing, etc and unfortunately he might cry a little. I try to make sure LO is entertained with something before I walk away. OR buy a sling / carrier so you can have your hands free. However these really shouldn't be used if you are cooking on the stove.

You could always ask DH to take care of the baby and let you finish cooking. It'll be bonding time for them and a little hands free time for you.

TTC since November 2010
    BFP: March 22, 2011 M/C: April 8, 2011 @ 7 weeks
    BFP: June 29, 2011!!! Crossing my fingers for a sticky baby :)
    LO Born early March 2012 We are so blessed image
  • mlee116mlee116 member

imagecountrygrl5533:
    I've been making dinner since the day we got home from the hospital. DH never cooks. He helps by taking the baby during that time period.

This, except for a few times we've had breakfast for dinner and DH cooks it since he likes it a certain way.  IMO, its the perfect time for DS to have "daddy time" and for me to have some "me" time since I like to cook.  

But I also don't make elaborate meals anymore.  I make easy things that usually have leftovers so I don't have to cook everyday.  And now that I'm back to work, I'd rather spend time with LO in the evenings than cook every night anyways. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"