Preemies

At what point were you given steroid shots for lung development?

Hi, I have been lurking on this board from time to time and now I have a question that I was hoping some if you ladies may be able to answer. I'd really appreciate it. I'm currently being monitored for posible preterm labor symptoms (shortish cervix (2.6cm) and positive FFN test from 2 days ago). I asked my doctor about steroid shots just in case and she said that she would not give them at this point, as I am not having contractions and positive FFN results are not that reliable. At what point were you given steroid shots? I am just worried that I may suddenly go into labor during the next 2 weeks and it will be too late to get them. On the other hand, I don't want to get them if it's not really necessary. I was under the impression that they have to be given a week (at the most) before birth or they're not effective and they can't keep being given, say if I do go into early labor but after the week window. I suppose that I should just listen to my doctor, but from what I have read it seems like a lot of doctors give the shots following a positive FFN test. What do you ladies think? Thanks for reading.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: At what point were you given steroid shots for lung development?

• I got the shots starting at 27w5d. I had pre-eclampsia and my blood pressure was stroke-level high so they were thinking they may have to deliver him ASAP. I had asked my doctors about that thing about their effectiveness wearing off after a week and they claimed that isn't true, that it helps lung development which would help even if the baby were born several weeks later. I've heard it both ways, so who knows. Best wishes to you for keeping your baby cooking for as long as possible!!
    Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Missa_gMissa_g member
    I received them at 28w1d and 28w2d while on magnesium for PTL.  I delivered at 29w4d.  The nicu doctors said the shots helped but not as much as if I had delivered within the week.  But it balances out because their development in other areas was helped by staying in longer.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • I received 2 rounds, once right after I was admitted to the hospital at 24 weeks and then 4 weeks later with the last shot literally hours before my c-section.  I didn't have PTL so my situation might be a little different, but at both times my Dr.'s expected that I would deliver in the next week. (fortunately they were wrong the first time).  My MFM said doing a second round is somewhat controversial, but some studies have shown it may be beneficial but not without risks or side effects.  I would ask your Dr. to explain in detail their logic for giving it or not giving it.  From my research, it is most effective if delivery occurs within one week.  From my personal experience, I don't think my second round did very much since my boys both had respiratory distress and were on ventilators for 2-3 weeks and then cpap after that.
  • I was given steriod shots on 3/29 and 3/30 which was 30 weeks, 2-3 days when I first was put on bedrest due to bleeding.  As well, I had a borderline bleed on 4/13-4/14 at 32 weeks, 5 days and was given again steriod shots again.  They were also concerned with my irritable uterus. 

Noelle was born 34 weeks, 6 days on 4/30/12.  She has done really well.  She started in the NICU.  She was in the ISCU today.  And I will find out tomorrow if she is going home on Friday. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • vsalt31vsalt31 member
    I received them at 30 weeks. My water had broken. Good luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got them at 24w4d when I was admitted to the hospital for no cervix and a bulging bag.  I was having contractions every minute. 
  • I received the steroid shots at 32 weeks 2 days and 32 weeks 3 days. My son was born at 32 weeks 4 days. He never required any assistance with breathing. The NICU doctors credited the steroid shots and a little bit of luck with his ability to breath on his own from the start.
  • ashk7ashk7 member
    I received the shot hours after being admitted, second round the next day and delivered 3 days later. From what I understand if you get the shots then the drs are expecting you will deliver within the week, but every dr is different and every situation is as well. I will say the shots seemed to help dd a lot, she never needed any form of breathing support. Good luck!
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I also had 2 rounds... first was at 24w3d and the second round was around 30 weeks I think. I wasn't having contractions... we had placenta issues and they weren't sure when they were going to have to deliver. 
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    I received the first set at 27 weeks, the first time I was hospitalized for complications, and then I got one more shot at 30 wks 4 days when I was in labor (didn't make it the 24 hours for the second shot of the set).
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I got my shots at 32 weeks and 32 weeks 1 day.  I had Wesley at 33 weeks. I was in for high blood pressure (which is chronic for me) and later I had him via C because of Pre E and Oligohydramnios.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I got them about 2 hours before my D was born at 26w5d.  They take about 48 hours to be effective so it was pointless.  I'd definitely take it easy and stay off my feet if I was you.  Let our stories be your cautionary tale:  if you notice any change or feel different/pain/pressure go to the hospital! 
  • I got the first shot on 3/16 and the second on 3/17.  I delivered on 3/19 at 32 and 3 weeks due to pre term labor.  My son came out screaming and didn't require any additional assistance with breathing.  He spent a little over 2 weeks in the NICU.  We were very lucky.
    My Ovulation Chart 50 mg Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI #1: BFN... 50 mg Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI #2: BFN... 50 mg Clomid/IUI #3: BFP!! Due May, 2012 :) So happy to welcome our little boy, born at 32 weeks and 3 days! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my first shots between 28-29 weeks. Do to a shortened cervix at 1.4 and contractions. My FFN was neg. arround 31 weeks I had no measurable cervix, no contractions and a neg FFN test. a few days later my water broke and I recieved another round of shots. I only lasted 2 days before I gave birth to my little girl. The FFN test did not work for me, said I should have been good for a few weeks and I lasted a few days.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I got then after I went into preterm labor at 28 weeks
    mr & mrs || 11.18.06
    DD born 07.06.09 || DS born 01.24.11 || Bean 3.0 due 11.16.12
  • Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.
  • I Recieved the series of 2 shots with in 24 hours of each other at between 24 and 25 weeks.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I was admitted to the hospital at 24wk0 days because I was 1 cm dialated and 50% effaced. The next day I got a positive FFN test and was given a course of the steroid shots. I was on hospital bedrest the remainder of the pregnancy. At 27wk1 day my water broke so I was given another round of steroids and then the babies were born at 27wk5d.

• I was given two rounds. One at 27w5d and 28w and again at 29w6d and 30w. There seems to be some controversy over their effectiveness but for me it was worth feeling more secure. The first rounds was started immediatley after a positive ffn test. The second round after my cervix continued to shorten and I was 1cm dilated. Hoping for another couple weeks.
  • With my first daughter I got one steroid shot the day I came in for monitoring at 33w 3d, and doctors were hoping to administer the second shot the following day, but I had my DD exactly 24 hour later. I had pre-e the first time around. My first DD was very lucky that she didn't have any lung issues (was only on the CPAP for two days).

Now with my second daughter, I was being monitored weekly for PTL (since 16 weeks) and at my 32 week appointment my blood pressure was high (152/90) and I was sent to L&D for blood work. While I was at the hospital, the doctor confirmed that I was contracting, I received the first steroid shot at 32w 6d and did get second shot the following day. 

• I was admitted at 32w2d due to preeclampsia and they gave me the shots in the first 48 hours I was in the hospital.  I ended up delivering them exactly 1 week later.

Best of luck to you!  Hang in there!

PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I was told they are supposed to be given 24 hours apart, so I got the first one on the day I was sent to L&D (they gave it to me at the Dr's office before I left) and then the next day at the hospital. (28w 2d & 28w 3d) DD was born 5 days after the first injection. Not sure about the effectiveness wearing off. I wouldn't see how it would, if it helps them mature...why would that wear off? I'm not sure of the exact science behind it and what it does. Good luck!
  • I was given the first at 33 weeks 4 days and the second at 33 weeks 5 days, I delivered at 34 weeks 4 days.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I received mine at 29 weeks 4 days and then again at 29/5. I delivered exactly at 30 weeks. They helped a lot. He never needed oxygen. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • kle0113kle0113 member
    I got the first shot the night I was admitted and the next night I got the second one.  My water broke at 30 weeks 1 day and did not have my daughter till 31 weeks 6 days. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I rec'd steroids at 29w5d for abrupt onset IUGR, abnormal doppler studies, decreased fetal movement, and ongoing oligohydramnios since 21 weeks. They really thought delivery was imminent at the time but things stabilized and I was able to make it to 35 weeks. Good luck!
  • I was given a round at 24 weeks when my cervix was measuring around 2cm. I was also given a round 6 weeks later at 30 weeks when I was put on mag for contractions. I remember my MFM saying that they give the shots 4 weeks apart. I had my baby at 31 weeks so she recicevd 2 rounds of steriod shots and when she was in the NICU she did not needed any breathing assistance. I contribute that to the steriod shots. Good Luck!
  • I was given mine while in labor, since I went into early labor for unknown reasons at 33 weeks.  They said it was probably too late to help, but did it anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"