May 2012 Moms
Options

how often does membrane stripping actually work?

I'm 39 weeks, 3cm dilated, 80% effaced, -2 station, bag of waters is bulging, and I'm soooo ready :( Dr. stripped my membranes this morning... how effective is it at starting labor if your body is showing signs of being "ready"?

I think I'm going to go home and dig my yoga ball out and try to inflate it.... or find some bumpy roads to drive on... I'll try anything :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: how often does membrane stripping actually work?

• Options
    I had my membranes stripped Monday. I was 1cm dilated, 70% effaced and the baby was "high". He said if it works the baby will come in 24-48 hours. Here we are on Wednesday though and no baby :(.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Didn't work for me with ds but I'll try again this time, I guess I figure it may help so it's worth a shot.  I'll be 39 weeks 4 days when I ask my mw to try. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It worked for me, but I was 40 weeks. I had DS 48 hours later. I think it's the type of thing that works if you're ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Had it done with my 1st DD and it definitely worked.  However, I was already feeling contractions when she did it and that just made them stronger.  I ended up having her the next day.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker m/c at 8weeks 2007 DD born 2009 m/c at 15weeks 2010 m/c at 6weeks 2011
  • Options
    It took 4 days for my friend's membrane stripping to trigger labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • Options
    I have heard of it working for some people but it did not work for me. I had mine done 4 times with DD in it did not put me in labor at all. Baby will come when baby is ready to come..... sorry but there is nothing that can be done short of medical intervention to make a baby come out if he/she is not ready.
  • Options
    lindy27lindy27 member

My doctor told me it works for 50% of her patients within 48 hours, but she only does it at 40+ weeks.

I had it done today, am 4cm and overdue, we shall see if it works.  I sure hope so! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

imagedanakatiepfoltzer:

Same as my friends...I'm not positvie but I think my dr. may have done it during my exam today..it took longer than normal and it felt like she kept digging around..I've been extra crampy since leaving so we shall see!

• Options
    lar1203lar1203 member
    my mw said it works about 50% of the time, if you're close already.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Had it done Sunday and no progress.  Had it done again today and so far just a lil tinge of blood (which didnt happen sunday) and some cramping.  We shall see!
  • Options
    It's funny to me. When doctors say things like "It works 50% of the time within 48 hours"....how many of those women would have gone into labor within 48 hours anyway? They're doing it so late in the game it's like a crap shoot. I am beginning to think it really doesn't have anything to do with going into labor, they just do it to make us feel better :) lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagedanakatiepfoltzer:

Then it wasn't the membrane stripping that started labor since it can cause labor to start within 48 hours, anything past that was just her time to have her baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    I honestly have no idea. My OB said sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Next Wednesday, we're going to have to talk chemical induction since I'll be 41.5 weeks so yesterday I had mine stripped in an effort to induce labor more naturally.

Just about to hit the 24 hour mark and nothing. I had very mild cramping and no bloody show.

Here's to hoping labor happens in the next 24 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"