Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Breathing spasms after crying?

I realize this is a question for our pediatrician but was just wondering if anyone else experiences this?

If my daughter has been crying hard (which isn?t often), she gets these breathing spasms afterward?for a while.  I?ve noticed this 3 times.  It sounds like hiccups and they happen every few seconds.  Last night, she scared us.  After ending 5 days of constipation (sorry, TMI!), she was in a lot of pain.  The whole experience made her really upset.  I rocked her back to sleep and she started these gasps/spasms right away.  They didn?t stop for about an hour or so.  Has anyone else had their child do this?   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breathing spasms after crying?

• Options
    This has happened to DS before, too. I just figured that when he got so upset, it was just taking his breathing a little while to go back to normal. I don't think it's ever lasted an hour, though...maybe about 15-20 minutes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

B does this sometimes after very intense tantrums.  I find it kind of hilarious. I never thought of in terms of a breathing problem, though. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I believe this is fairly common. My DD does this when she gets SUPER upset and our sitter's kids have always done it too.

It happened once so badly when she was 5 weeks old. The dog jumped across her while I was lying with her on the floor. I screamed, dog didn't touch her at all, but I scared her to death and she cried hysterically for about 10 minutes and then did the spasm/hiccup thing for about 2-3 hours after. I called on-call pedi. (after about 20 min.) and they assured me that as long as I didn't notice any change in her color around her lips then she was getting enough oxygen. Scared me to death!

But, she still does it slightly less dramatically now when she gets really upset. I understand the concern. I'm concerned more that she wheezes too whenever she has even the slightest cough. Have talked with pedi. and we have albuterol on hand in case it gets severe. Red flag to watch for asthma, etc.

BFP#1- 2/12/10 DD born 10/20/10
     BFP#2- 7/27/13 EDD- 4/5/13 CP 8/4/13 @ 5weeks1day
     BFP#3- 12/1/13 EDD- 8/10/14

• Options
    Yes, DS does that when he throws a tantrum and cries. He doesn't cry often, but if he gets really upset and cries, he does that for a while afterword. One night he got really worked up and did that for spasm breathing for about 20 minutes or so.
    image image

• Options
    I remember doing it as a child after a long crying jag.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"