March 2012 Moms
Options

Congested baby?

Hi ladies!  My 7 week old has gradually gotten more congested over the last 3 days and today she is breathing in and out through a ton of mucus.  She has no temperature.  Thought I would ask you before I call the pediatrician to see if there is anything I should do?  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Congested baby?

• Options
    My baby is also congested a lot with no actual illness - use a nasal aspirator with some saline drops first (google it - you can make them yourself with salt and warm water), sleep on an incline and use a humidifier. Sadly that's pretty much all you can do!
  • Options
    That is sad!  Thanks so much.  I will try that!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know people have posted about this a lot, but you should get a Nosefrida.  I just got one yesterday because my LO has been congested for awhile and nothing was working to help.  It got mucus out that I would not have been able to get out otherwise.

I ordered it off of Amazon, and it wasn't that expensive at all. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I agree with the previous posters... but before buying anything, here are two cost-free ideas my midwife had me do when DD was congested:

1) Take her into the shower with you/leave her outside the shower in a bouncy seat while you're in there - the humididy and steam really help!

2) If you're BFing, putting some breastmilk up her nose is helpful - the same as saline drops. Listen, I KNOW it sounds totally ridiculous... when my midwife suggested it, I was like, "Whhhaaaa??!" and laughed out loud. But I swear it worked, so now I'm a convert :) 

Their nasal passageways are SO small at this point that almost anything will plug them up, it's not necessarily an illness or anything. As long as they aren't turning blue and it eventually passes, I wouldn't worry.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    kel716kel716 member

Here's what we do- try to hold them upright a little more to help gravity drain the nasal passageways.

I agree with the pp- the NoseFrida is AMAZING.  I got mine in the mail today, and I too ordered it on Amazon.  I resisted getting one with DS, but he also didn't get any sort of illness until he was over a year old (the benefits of not going to daycare).  However, I can completely related to the review that says 'the grossest thing you'll ever love.'  It really does work.

We also run a humidifier at night, and it really helps too. 

And fwiw, breastmilk is liquid gold- it clears up sooooo many things. 

• Options

We use a nasal aspirator and saline drops---both really help.  I have also noticed that when we give our daughter tummy time that a lot of mucus comes out and then we again use the aspirator. 

A friend of mine also suggested turning on the shower as hot as it will go and sitting in there with your LO--that really helped her daughter.

Good luck :)

• Options

image92405bride:
    My baby is also congested a lot with no actual illness - use a nasal aspirator with some saline drops first (google it - you can make them yourself with salt and warm water), sleep on an incline and use a humidifier. Sadly that's pretty much all you can do!

I took our boys in for this - congestion no fever - and was told the same thing. Although we were told to suction the nose out sparingly as it might irritate the inside of the nose and increase mucus. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"