C-sections

Nauseous during surgery?

I was so drugged up with my DD I don't remember this stuff.  Did anyone get nauseous while having their c/s?  Is it common?  I have seen this on some baby shows and I wonder how often it really happens.  Can you typically ask for something beforehand to prevent it just in case?
Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage

Re: Nauseous during surgery?

• I threw up during my c-section, after I had already been pumped full of zofran. I was a mess though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was nauseous during my c-section, but it might have been partly in my head (it's not exactly relaxing sitting there, numb), so with both my kids I just let them know immediately. They gave me something both times in my IV that got rid of it completely. Just tell them how you're feeling and there's medicine they can give you to counteract it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was pretty nauseous during surgery. My dr. warned me that it was normal but to tell the anesthesialogist if I felt nausea immediately. 

In my experience, I think it was a combo of nerves, actual nausea and the oxygen face mask. It made me feel claustrophobic.  

ETA: I also received zofran in my iv during surgery.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I threw up twice during my CS.  Once shortly after getting on the table and then again as they were stitching me up. I had a bunch of other stuff going on though. My uterus ruptured during labor and i was bleeding internally for a while without us knowing. My blood pressure and blood count were probably very off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • skioskio member
    I got nauseous in recovery. They shot me up with Zofran quickly so I wouldn't heave and strain the incision.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I threw up a few times after DD was out.  I think it was a combo of the meds and just freaking out about what was happening (I had an emer c/s).  I jsut told them i felt nauseous and they held the little tub thing for me and I'm sure they gave me meds, I'm really not sure.  Eventually, they just knocked me out!
    BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • I got extremely nauseous during surgery, and my BP dropped really low also. They gave me something in my IV that made me feel better almost instantly. All I had to do was tell the nurse anesthetist that I was feeling nauseous and she took care of it.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• imageLoisLane23:
    I was nauseous because the room was spinning, but that was happening before the surgery. I do plan to ask for some zofran this time because anesthesia doesn't sit well with me.

Same with me.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • salt78salt78 member
    I got SO nauseous during my c/s. The anesthesiologist gave me Zofran and it worked pretty quickly. (He also put a little plastic barf pan next to my head that I never would have been able to accurately throw up in if my life depended on it. Thanks, dude.)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thank you for the responses.  Good to know if I do feel sick they have something to counteract it quickly.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • It's fairly common, nausea during a c section. I was really bad. they dont alwayd give nausea meds before hand, because most of the time its caused by a drop in blood pressure & they need to counterect that with a different type of medication. instead of just the typical nausea med of zofran, reglan or phenergan.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I was and I also threw up during mine (both of mine actually). Several times in fact. It happens and they're prepared for it.
  • Man I wish they had given me some Zofran or something like that!  I was sooo nauseous during surgery.  And I kept saying that I was but no one said anything or did anything.  I held it together though.  Then afterwards I was really sick.  I threw up for several hours.  It was quite miserable.  Now I will know for next time.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • I was not nauseous during my C-section but I did get sick after they stiched me up.... it just hit me and it happened so it wasn't like I was laying there feeling like crap. No big deal.

• I did not get nauseated during or after my cs. In the beginning I felt I was going to get nauseated but it lasted like 5 seconds. Don't know if they put any medication on my IV
  • I was for both of my planned c/s.  My BP drops with the spinal and it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up and like I can't breath.  They gave me ephedrine in my IV, but tried to hold off on giving me much else until the baby was out.  I took zofran and that bitter drink before going in for the c/s.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Right after they put the drugs in the epidural line, I felt like I was going to throw up. They told me to turn my head to the side, but right after I did that I passed out. I woke up two hours later very confused with a baby girl. I think my blood pressure had dropped really low.

I was told afterwards that I should never become a drug addict because I would most likely die from an overdose. I guess I don't handle drugs very well.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I started throwing up the second my spinal in place and did not stop till the 2nd day in the hospital.
  • imagestemms8810:
    Thank you for the responses.  Good to know if I do feel sick they have something to counteract it quickly.

Yep. I was only mildly queasy (likely because I was tired, hungry and anxious) and it only took like 5 seconds for them to  resolve it via IV meds.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • I got nauseous when they actually pulled the baby out.  That was the only moment for me. 
    Halloween Shopping
  • Before I went into surgery I told them I would like something to prevent nausea but they would not give me anything till I was in there.  They did give me that gross stuff to drink, then when I got into the OR after the spinal I got nauseous and they gave me Zofran right away and it went away.  However, because I had an emergency C-Section due to severe pre-eclampsia I was puking the entire night and most of the following morning due to the Magnesium drip. Even the Zofran did not help. Ugh. Ick!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"