Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

2 1/2 year old having "accidents"

How would you handle a 2 1/2 year old purposely having "accidents". DD will go in the bathroom and wet her pants, standing next to her potty. Or she will stand in the living room and look down and watch her pants get wet. She has been potty trained since she was 18 months. She can go by herself, I don't know why she's doing this and when I ask her she says she doesn't know or "that's why". I've tried time outs and taking away snacks for the rest of the day but it's not helping. She doesnt do it all the time, just once or twice a day. And she's not distracted or excited because she will go in the bathroom and do it. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2 1/2 year old having "accidents"

• Options

My youngest has been PT'd since she was barely 2 and she continued to have periodic accidents until probably the last 6mos (she's almost 5!).  Usually this would be because she was playing/distracted, but sometimes it would just happen for seemingly no reason.   Toileting should never be about punishments.  If anything, I would try rewards for making it to the potty- that worked best for my DD.  Small treats or stickers- something that motivates her.  You may also need to remind her to go to the potty more often.

Potty training is a process.  Just because she's been "trained" since 18mos doesn't mean the process is over.  Don't make a big deal about it- clean her up, say "lets try to make it to the potty next time!" and move on.  

• Options

Mine I swear intentionally peed the floor in timeout.  My mother thinks its like a upset dog peeing when they're in trouble.  

I think it's normal when you potty train young.

Also, I don't really think that all day punishments like no snacks work at this age. At least for me, DD doesn't remember things the cause and effect that far along.

What did work for us was treats that were sporadic.  Once or twice day she'd get 2 m&m's for a success.  A miss would result in being told no treat this time.   I didn't want her to think she always got a treat.  

The other thing i noticed is that if the pants are harder to get off she'll have an accident, or she flat out forgets to pull her pants down. No joke I've seen her sit on the potty and pee her pants.  I count these as successes, she knew what she was supposed to do and when.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I'll try the m & m thing. That might work for her. She just did so well for months and I don't know what happened. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sometimes when they have growth spurts their little systems get off, or the sensation changes depending on the amount in the bladder. Also, an infection can cause problems as well. I know an 8 year old that was having accidents, she had a uti.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, accidents are part of it. Lapses happen. Asking her why isn't going to help, because she probably doesn't know why. Even if she is doing it for a physical or emotional reason, she won't be able to explain it. 

If it were me, I wouldn't punish the error. When my first had an accident, I would give her a big hug, tell her it was okay and ask if she wanted to wear a fresh pair of undies or a pull up. 

GL!  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"