Stay at Home Moms
Options

Recommend your BCP, plz!

Well I've finally come to terms with the fact that the NuvaRing is just too expensive (not on my insurance formulary so it's $65/mo) and I need help deciding which pill to try.

The first contaceptive I used was Ortho Tri-Cyclen LO,  which I was on for three years with no issues, but it's a miracle I never got pg since I messed up on taking it right so many times. Then I used the NuvaRing for a year or so until we TTC my son. After he was born I used the mini-pill while I was BF so I became a pro at actually taking my pill every day at the same time.

I've only been back on the ring for 4 months but it's so pricey I feel like it would almost be cheaper to get pregnant again lol. Having some baby fever anyway but it's just not time yet.

So I'm ready to pick a pill that has an $8 generic. I'll be talking it over with my OBGYN in a couple wks but want to research first. I may just go back to the equivalent of Ortho TLo but thought I'd check here first...

Do any of you have a BCP that you love and would recommend trying?

And yes, I realize everyone is different and responds to meds differently. :) Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recommend your BCP, plz!

• Options
    Have you thought about an IUD like Mirena or Paraguard?
  • Options
    IUDs are a little too long term...we'll probably TTC again in about a year. Would have been a nice option when we first got married since we wanted to wait 4-5 yrs, but you have to have had a child already to get one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cactus5cactus5 member
    If it worked for you, I would just go back on the Othro Low. I use Yasmin because I need a lot of hormones in my bcp.
  • Options
    I would reccommend that also or get back on the mini pill and make sure to consistantly take every day at the same time. Especially with you guys wanting to try again so soon (as within a year) you dont want to get on something that will take you forever to get pregnant with. I was on the mini pill for two years due to me BF and it still took a year for us to get pregnant again and that was with recording everything like ovulation dates, how many times we had sex, menstruation...sorry, if Im not using all of the little letters like everyone else does...I find it confusing since Im still new, but I am trying lol Big Smile Good luck dear!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Are you strictly wanting a pill or open to other options? I use implanon, which is a subdermal inplant. Good for 3 years and similar to an IUD but they put it in your arm. I had minimal side effects but some women can have a lot of bleeding (I didnt). Personally I love not having to remember to take a pill, and just decide to remove when were ready to TTC. Hope this helps :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJlroberts57:
    Are you strictly wanting a pill or open to other options? I use implanon, which is a subdermal inplant. Good for 3 years and similar to an IUD but they put it in your arm. I had minimal side effects but some women can have a lot of bleeding (I didnt). Personally I love not having to remember to take a pill, and just decide to remove when were ready to TTC. Hope this helps :)
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm open to other options but I want something that would be easy to switch if it doesn't work for me and wouldn't be a waste of money if I didn't stick with it. So basically a pill! If I knew Implanon would be ok for me I would do it, but I've heard so many horror stories about massive bleeding, and tons of other undesirable side effects but you are clearly proof that it works well for some! And PP, I thought the mini-pill was less than 94% effective if you aren't nursing? Mostly, I'm scared of side effects like weight gain, mood swings and loss of libido. Guess it couldn't hurt to try what worked before and see if I have any adverse effects.
  • Options

imagebrenda.michelle:
    imageJlroberts57:
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm open to other options but I want something that would be easy to switch if it doesn't work for me and wouldn't be a waste of money if I didn't stick with it. So basically a pill! If I knew Implanon would be ok for me I would do it, but I've heard so many horror stories about massive bleeding, and tons of other undesirable side effects but you are clearly proof that it works well for some! And PP, I thought the mini-pill was less than 94% effective if you aren't nursing? Mostly, I'm scared of side effects like weight gain, mood swings and loss of libido. Guess it couldn't hurt to try what worked before and see if I have any adverse effects.

Im not 100% sure on that one. I was supplementing with formula for the second year that I was breastfeeding but the dr said it would work even if I wasnt BF. Talk to you dr and honestly tell them your concerns. I just know I was really worried after trying for a year and not getting anywhere pregnancy wise...I hope you find a solution that fits your needs!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"