Parenting after a Loss
Options

Another tattoo....is this SO cliche?

So I'm off to get tatted up yet again (if any of you have one, you can maybe vouch for how addicting they are..that said, I've only got three and I only get them if they are meaningful).

Anyway, to go off-roading a little bit..my uncle passed away about two months ago.  We weren't super close, but it's always sad to lose a member of your family.  The girls didn't know my uncle at all (I think they met him when dd#1 was 4yrs and dd#2 was 1 and that was it).  For some reason yesterday, completely out of the blue dd#2 said "Mom, I really miss your uncle who died."  It was SO random and completely took me off guard.  Then dd#2 said "It's okay Alayna, he's with the butterflies."

So, why is this important to my tattoo??

Because, when we lost #3, I was almost 12w and had seen a healthy heartbeat.  Because of these things, we had told the girls about the baby.  When I mc'd and had to explain that the baby wasn't with us anymore, I told the girls that the baby went to be with the butterflies.  At the time they thought it was sweet, but I didn't think they really got anything out of it.

I've been wanting to get a tattoo in remembrance of the one we lost but just haven't been able to think of what to do.  When dd#1 said that it was okay that my uncle had died cause he was now with the butterflies, it hit me that that is what I need to get.  That is how our baby is remembered.

The only problem I'm having with it is that women with butterfly tattoos seems so cliche (sorry to anybody who has one).  I want to get it on my foot, just below my ankle bone.  Do you think the everydayness (totally made that word up!) of the butterfly tattoo will totally take away from the meaning behind it? 

Forever missing Baby Z #3 ~ Natural m/c 4.12.2010 at 11w2d
*So proud and so lucky to be the mommy of two beautiful little girls
and one handsome little man*
RJ~5.17.2005~born @ 37w due to IUGR~4lbs 15ozs
Al~4.5.2008~born big and healthy @ 38w~7lbs 9.5ozs
Lil man~5.20.2011~born big and healthy @ 39w (after one he!! of a pregnancy)~8lbs 1oz
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Another tattoo....is this SO cliche?

• Options
    I think its a wonderful idea. The meaning behind it is very beautiful and thats all that matters.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think if it is meaningful and important to you, then who cares what other people think?  I think it sounds lovely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of tats, but that sounds like a wonderful, meaningful tattoo.
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • Options
    I have to agree with the PP's, the meaning behind the tat is way important. I don't think meaning can be cliche.
  • Options
    I think that sounds lovely. I have a tattoo that looks cliche but has a very significant meaning to me. I don't like talking about the time in my life the tattoo refers to, so it's actually fantastic that it doesn't invite conversation/questions.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. It will be special and meaningful to you, and that's really all that matters. I think it's a wonderful way to remember your angel.
  • Options
    I don't think so. There's a lot of meaning behind it
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Do it!  And post a pic of course.  I think it sounds lovely.
    Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

No, it won't be cliche. You know the meaning and that's all that matters.

And a side note, I am one of those girls with the cliche butterflies. LOL

BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"