Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Stopping reflux medicine..

Hi all!  I weened my LO off of her reflux medicine.  The pedi. said it was ok since she really didn't have reflux that bad and I wanted to stop giving it to her since she is getting older.  Last week was the first week she was off of it and she started to spit up alot.  She would spit up in the past but not that bad and she spit up a handful or more times each day.  I called the pedi. and she said if my LO didn't seem to be hurting when she spit up then to continue not giving her the medicine.  Has anyone else weened their LO off of their reflux medicine and had this issue?  TIA!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stopping reflux medicine..

• Options
    LO spit up just as much on her medicine as off her medicine. Since there was no difference, we took her off it around 3 1/2 months. Spit up constantly until a week or so ago. Now she only spits up once or twice a day. Never thought I'd be so excited about that!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DS has been on the ranititdine since he was 2 months old and its been a LIFE SAVER! We did try weening him @ 4 months for a week but he got REALLY fussy and started spitting up bad again..so we went back to the doc and b/c he had gained more weight the doc actually decided to up his dose to match with his weight?.

Its a really safe medication and it doesn't really harm them to be on it but that being said of course no one wants their LO to be on the meds forever.

My doc said that once he is on solid food more (just started) that it should help the reflux more and we can start trying to ween him more.

If she is weening well and the spit up doesn't seem to bother her then it should be ok but keep in mind that even if she may not be bothered if she is spitting up excessively then the acid could still be damaging her tiny and fragile esophogus and that is not good either-if she is spitting up more than once or twice at each feeding and/or half her food then its prob best to stay on the meds until she starts more solids that can help the acid.

Good luck! :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebabybluestar:

DS has been on the ranititdine since he was 2 months old and its been a LIFE SAVER! We did try weening him @ 4 months for a week but he got REALLY fussy and started spitting up bad again..so we went back to the doc and b/c he had gained more weight the doc actually decided to up his dose to match with his weight?.

Its a really safe medication and it doesn't really harm them to be on it but that being said of course no one wants their LO to be on the meds forever.

My doc said that once he is on solid food more (just started) that it should help the reflux more and we can start trying to ween him more.

If she is weening well and the spit up doesn't seem to bother her then it should be ok but keep in mind that even if she may not be bothered if she is spitting up excessively then the acid could still be damaging her tiny and fragile esophogus and that is not good either-if she is spitting up more than once or twice at each feeding and/or half her food then its prob best to stay on the meds until she starts more solids that can help the acid.

Hey!  Thanks for the advice.  She really isn't spitting up after she eats, it's usually a little bit after or at different times.  I'm wondering if I should put her back on it?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageshanrob1022010:
    imagebabybluestar:

Hey!  Thanks for the advice.  She really isn't spitting up after she eats, it's usually a little bit after or at different times.  I'm wondering if I should put her back on it?

I would def talk to your doc/ped first before putting her back on!  

• Options
    DS never stopped spitting up, so it naturally didn't stop when we stopped the meds last week. However, now he doesn't seem to be in pain, which is what's important.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

Definitely call your pediatrician.  I asked ours about this at our six month checkup yesterday.  He said the medicine will NOT affect whether they spit up or not, it just reduces the amount of acid in the spitup.  He also said reflux peaks around 6 months, then once they are sitting up on their own more of the time, it will naturally get better over the next few months.  And if you do wean, it takes a few days for the acid to build back up and another few days for the esophagus to get irritated again  :(

He recommended we try weaning probably around 9 months.

Married May 9, 2009, Fall Creek Falls State Park, Tennessee Male factor infertility, BFP after two failed IUIs and one IVF image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    We are on Prilosec and had not changed our dose in 6 weeks.  She gained a few pounds (3-4 or so) so essentially she was weaning.  We noticed silent reflux noises and she was walking up in the middle of the night crying.  We happened to meet with our GI and she upped the dose for her weight and these symptoms are now gone (she is also back to STTN).  We hope to stay at this dose to self wean, but are in no rush to take her off it.  We are in touch with our GI via email with updates, etc. 
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"