April 2012 Moms
Options

Well...time to learn to take care of DD myself....

H just left on emergency leave to attend his grandmother's memorial service on the other side of the country (and I'm really sad that I couldn't go to be there for him)...

But I just realized that I have never taken care of DD without someone else here...

I also drove (more than three miles) with her today with no one else in the car for about 80 miles...that was also a first (and totally nerve wracking because I forgot the mirror and she loves to droop her head). 

I wonder how it'll go tonight....

Well, guess this is a mini-deployment prep! Anyone else had a few days alone with your little ones? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Well...time to learn to take care of DD myself....

• Options
    Not yet.  I'm really dreading DH going back to work.  I know I can do it but I'll miss him being with us.  
  • Options

Yep.  DH's dad is dying (cancer, yuck) and they gave him 4 good weeks left.  They have stopped medical treatment and intervention.  So DH and my stepson (who lives with us, he is 9) headed up there (360 miles away).  They left Saturday and are coming home tomorrow.

I have been home with my toddler (19 months) and my almost 3 week old for 2 1/2 days and we are all still alive!  I am doing better than I thought I would :)  But I do miss DH and my SS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
     My DH had to work from 8 am until midnight a few days last week, so I was essentially by myself with DD.  I have family nearby though, so I went to the mall with my mom one day, then visited friends one morning and went to a christening party in the afternoon.  I find the days go by more quickly when I have some errands to run, plus then DD sleeps for awhile in the carseat when we get home, giving me some time to get things done.  I'm sure you'll do great!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Good luck... And we're here for you if you need us!

imageimage

• Options
    I only have her alone while H works. Never overnight. Good luck. It could be stressful not having someone to help out, but you'll do fine. Maybe ask a friend to come over for a visit. Very sorry to hear about his grandmother.
  • Options
    Wishing you the best of luck. I know it's been an adjustment for me taking care of my LO while DH is at work during the day. I couldn't imagine overnight just yet. I hope you have people there to help give you a break so you can get some rest.
    Photo0235 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

DH went back to work last week. I was so nervous but everything was ok.  You will do fine!

I am sorry to hear about your DH's grandma. 

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Aw, good luck! I know you will do great though! 
  • Options

LO was born on a Thursday and DH went back to his school/work routine on that following Monday. I was terrified to be alone with him, but now we are pros. Driving alone with him the first time, I was SO nervous! I actually got dressed and ready to go out alone three days in a row without actually doing it haha. I kept chickening out. Now it's no big deal.

DH isn't gone at night, but usually doesn't get home until LO is down for his first long stretch of sleep and leaves in the morning before he wakes up usually. Just two more weeks until he's done with school and starts his new job and we'll be back in a more normal routine where he can actually spend time with him. I love LO to pieces and love being his mom, but it gets exhausting caring for him alone essentially 24/7. I have a lot of respect for single parents!

• Options
    Husband went back to work today. I had all three by myself for the first time!! I did good though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, several days last week. DH had a good friend pass away and he was out of state attending the funeral.
  • Options

Sorry about his grandmother, ateal!

I am going through this right now.  DH left yesterday to go to school 6 hours away, for a total of 6 weeks.  I've had a few panic moments, last night was our first night alone, just me and DD.  But I keep telling myself, I CAN do this.  People do deployments, people are single moms, and things go okay.  Just one hour at a time, lots of deep breaths, and trying to fit in some normalcy so I don't fall apart.  Like cleaning up a little even though I don't have to.  Calling my family for support (both of our families live 14 hours away).

You can do it too!  Even though it's terrifying, and at times, overwhelming, haha.

• Options
    imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

LO was born on a Thursday and DH went back to his school/work routine on that following Monday. I was terrified to be alone with him, but now we are pros. Driving alone with him the first time, I was SO nervous! I actually got dressed and ready to go out alone three days in a row without actually doing it haha. I kept chickening out. Now it's no big deal.

DH isn't gone at night, but usually doesn't get home until LO is down for his first long stretch of sleep and leaves in the morning before he wakes up usually. Just two more weeks until he's done with school and starts his new job and we'll be back in a more normal routine where he can actually spend time with him. I love LO to pieces and love being his mom, but it gets exhausting caring for him alone essentially 24/7. I have a lot of respect for single parents! 

^this except my H is gone 2nights per week for his shift at the FD plus 4 days a week at school. ...and tonight H came home sick so he's sleeping upstairs and is no help for the overnight.

Just try to remember to breathe and stay calm, you'll do great. :)

• Options
    imagecreamsiclechica:

Sorry about his grandmother, ateal!

I am going through this right now.  DH left yesterday to go to school 6 hours away, for a total of 6 weeks.  I've had a few panic moments, last night was our first night alone, just me and DD.  But I keep telling myself, I CAN do this.  People do deployments, people are single moms, and things go okay.  Just one hour at a time, lots of deep breaths, and trying to fit in some normalcy so I don't fall apart.  Like cleaning up a little even though I don't have to.  Calling my family for support (both of our families live 14 hours away).

You can do it too!  Even though it's terrifying, and at times, overwhelming, haha.

I said that to myself too. My one week without H is nothing compared to the 18 months some women have had to manage without their husbands....we can totally tough this out!!

And thank you for the condolences everyone. I really hope DH finds peace with it and enjoys reuniting with the all of the family members that have come together for the memorial.

Cancer is such a cruel disease.

• Options
    I'm a single mom, so...yeah. you can do it!
  • Options

Ha!  DH has been gone for about 10 days now, and won't be back until May 20th.  You have to love jobs that are 100% travel . . . . 

That being said, I would dare say that LO and I are thriving.  At first, it was rough.  I cried a lot and didn't think I could do it, but then we got into a rhythm and routine.  Ten days in and we're both happy, healthy, fed, and clean.  The house is clean, dishes and laundry done.   I'm actually a little worried about how it's going to go when DH gets home and we have to throw another person into the routine.  

Back in 1970, my mother did all of this with 2u1, while holding down a full time job.  (My brothers are 10 1/2 months apart in age, and my dad was in vietnam.)  If she could do that, I can handle this.   

• Options
    Yesterday was my first full day home alone with the twins, and we survived, somewhat to my surprise! I wusses out on the overnight though, (hubby had a 24 hr shift), so my mom came to help.

Untitled

Etta Jane and Claire Elaine are here! Born March 28, 2012.

my blog

What it's like to cloth diaper twins, Part I.

Cloth diapering twins, Part II.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"