August 2012 Moms
Options

I hate other people's children

Okay, so not all kids, but about 75% of the kids who I either have no relation to or that I'm not friends with I cannot stand. 

Today I went with 3 of my mommy friends to the park with the kids. Wyatt is pretty active and didn't want to sit with the rest of the kids, so I took him to play on the safer parts of the park. As soon as I got there, a 5-6 year old boy came up to me and was asking all sorts of questions about Wyatt, which was fine. A couple minutes later, when I was on a little rickety bridge with him helping him along, the kid jumped down on the bridge screaming and ran by us, knocking Wyatt over. He was fine, so I wasn't too mad about the whole thing, I asked the kid to be more careful around him because 'he's just little'. By now he was up and ready to do the exact same thing again, and looked at me, rolled his eyes and said 'he shouldn't be here then!', and then ran down just as before (I managed to pick Wyatt up though). 

If I were a crazier b!tch, I probably would have tripped him on his way down... but instead I just took Wyatt and left to find the others, giving the kid's mother (on the bench texting) a good ol' side eye on the way out.

So really, I should say I hate stupid parents more than their kids... Oh well, vent over 

ETA thought 

Re: I hate other people's children

• Options
    You have much, much more self control than I could ever hope for.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    Yes great self control. I would have a few words for the momma
    Edd 8-14-12, Team pink Ds#1 born 6-14-03 Ds#2 born 5-7-05 Skylar Dominique born 7/30/2012 @ 7:30pm 6lbs 12oz and 18 3/4 inches
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageC_mo:

So really, I should say I hate stupid parents more than their kids... Oh well, vent over 

Stupid parents make stupid children. I probably would have said something to the mom on the way out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm with ya.  I always loved kids when I was younger, but now that I have one I find I have less patience with other kids. A girl who was easily 6-7 years old was playing on the toddler playground (specifically for ages 2-4) and kept yelling at DD (not even 2.5) that she wasn't allowed to be on the bouncy bridge.  Then proceeded to yell at me, MIL and SIL to make her get off the bridge.  The mom just stood there and giggled.  I nicely told the child that the bridge was there for all to share- she said it about 50 more times before her mother chimed in.  Parents who are clearly afraid of their kids are one of my biggest pet peeves.  
  • Options
    As a teacher, I have no problem chastizing other peoples' children. I wouldn't have tripped him though (though I'd have wanted to). Sorry your park experience was ruined by a rude kid.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I hate on parents almost every day since it's my job to work with them. I might have said something to the mom but chances are if her son is so rude, so is she. I often have to tell parents about difficulties with their children throughout the day. The kids with whom I have the most problems are the ones where the parents have no interest in their children's behavior.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options

imageMrsC17:
    I'm with ya.  I always loved kids when I was younger, but now that I have one I find I have less patience with other kids. A girl who was easily 6-7 years old was playing on the toddler playground (specifically for ages 2-4) and kept yelling at DD (not even 2.5) that she wasn't allowed to be on the bouncy bridge.  Then proceeded to yell at me, MIL and SIL to make her get off the bridge.  The mom just stood there and giggled.  I nicely told the child that the bridge was there for all to share- she said it about 50 more times before her mother chimed in.  Parents who are clearly afraid of their kids are one of my biggest pet peeves.  

Yes! There is absolutely NO reason a parent should be scared to correct/chastise/discipline their child.  

• Options
    Yes, hate the parents not their creation :) When I face these things I just try really hard to picture what their lives are going to be like when that little monster is a teenager! Usually that helps :)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ahhh...I used to LOVE children! Growing up kids flocked to me. I taught kids how to swim for years and was a lifeguard...I absolutely loved my job because I was around children who loved me, and vise versa.

Now? I don't know if it's old age or what, but I dislike and almost hate most other's kids. They're irritating. I may get flamed for saying all of this...but my nieces and one nephew is super annoying, to me. My youngest nephew refuses to have fun at our house. I talk with SIL about if he's like that when she watches him and she says no, he has a blast. I don't know what it is. The kid gets all of our attention and so much praise...and he dislikes it so much. I'm sure it's more his immature mother that is more of the irritation than him, but still. Our older nieces are annoying because it's like...they just have to talk, and not talk about anything in particular. I'm sure it's just me...these kids are pretty good kids, for the most part.  Then other kids I see at the parks and stuff...I feel the same way you do. Parents, seriously, watch your children...AND discipline them!

Sorry for venting on your post. 

As you were. 

image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I hate the parents who when confronted with proof of what their kids are doing wrong out right deny it.  They seem to think I have some personal thing against their child. When I was a kid I knew better than to do something bad when adults were around bc my parents listened to the other adults.  Now people think childrens word is law. Frustrating.
  • Options
    This.  When you spend 8 hours a day working with the "it takes a village" mentality it doesn't get turned off at the park, mall, pool, etc. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am so glad you posted this and I felt good reading all the PP that validate what I have also felt but haven't really said... I wasn't sure if I just didn't like the kids or if it was the parents (parenting) but felt like I couldn't judge it b/c I wasn't a parent.  I think a big difference is that you were right there with your kid playing, which is what kids want... compared to the moms on the bench texting, ignoring their kids.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

That's tough Cmo.   I have a six year old (he turned six today!!) and while I don't helicopter parent because he is old enough to do things on his own now, I would NEVER sit by watching the type of behaviour that kid exhibited to you guys. 

I have also been known to turn "mama grizzly" on kids who are mean/hurtful/bullys to my children.  I worked in a childcare environment at a work out facility and took my kids to work with me when they were a few years younger and had the opportunity a few times to get down on my knees and say, very quietly to bully children, "Do you know who I am?  I am his/her mother.  You don't mess with him/her, I am watching you."  And when you say that and they see angry mommy in your eyes..... haha!  That's all it takes! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I hate parents of kids like that! I feel like the parents of those rude kids don't give a shiit anyway, so there's no use saying anything to them.

It makes my blood boil when I take DS somewhere like the kiddy area at the mall that is designed for LITTLE kids (and even has signs saying "under X inches".. so like 5 and under). They toys are obviously very baby-ish and there are like 10 year olds totally misusing the area, playing tag, climbing on top of and jumping from toy to toy and almost jumping on top of my little kid. All while the mom sits there reading a magazine/texting or bull-shiiting with her friend. I hate that they don't care and I have to watch my kid like a hawk and hover over him so he doesn't get hurt in an area designed for kids his age! Grrr, makes me made just thinking about it. Angry

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options
    I have definitely found out that after being a parent, I hate other people's kids (yes perhaps it's the parents fault, but it is the kids that annoy me). Even my and my DH's siblings (they are younger) get on my nerves. I think it's just that we feel so connected to our own kids and love them so much, that anything another kid does that affects ours makes us irritated. It's just parental instinct!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    TwizzleTwizzle member

That's so frustrating. I know exactly what you mean about being annoyed with other kids at the park.  For some reason the park by our house often has unsupervised kids who I know don't even live in our neighborhood and these kinds of things have happened to us also.

It's a good opportunity for a teachable moment--for the other kid and your own.  You can talk to your own child about how when he gets bigger he should watch out for smaller kids.  I also think it's better to tell the kid how his behavior isn't appropriate than admonish the mom.  Most likely she would just have rolled her eyes at you anyway and not said anything to her kid. 

• Options

i read somewhere the saying (and i'm ad libbing here) that kids are like dogs.

yours are awesome and cute and everyone elses are just disgusting.

being a dog person it made me laugh, cause it's true.

i've never been a person to fawn all over other peoples children.  i CAN NOT wait to have my own, but that is because they'll be perfect ;)

• Options
    imagehooslisa:

i've never been a person to fawn all over other peoples children.  i CAN NOT wait to have my own, but that is because they'll be perfect ;)

I was literally just talking about this with someone at work. I feel 100% opposite. I LOVE other people's dogs, but never ever want one living in my house. But kids, yes - I am generally not a "kid person" and don't really like anyone's but my own.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options
    imagemeaknigh:
    imagehooslisa:

I was literally just talking about this with someone at work. I feel 100% opposite. I LOVE other people's dogs, but never ever want one living in my house. But kids, yes - I am generally not a "kid person" and don't really like anyone's but my own.

i love other people's dogs too, but i definitely always wash my hands after touching them.  blech.  ;)

my dog, though, could have just rolled in the mud, but she's still fine by me. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"