February 2012 Moms
Options

So I tried tummy time with a mirror...

DS fa-reaked out. I don't think he loved looking at himself crying like that. He'll be 11 weeks old tomorrow and he still doesn't come anywhere near holding his head up. He just lays town facing sideways and screams bloody murder until I pick him up. When I help him sit up he can support his head and look from side to side but when he is on his tummy...nada. He doesn't even try. I'm at a loss. I'm pretty sure at this rate he will start crawling on his 16th birthday. Any tips?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So I tried tummy time with a mirror...

• Options

What if you propped him up on a boppy pillow? 

Keep trying!

• Options
    imageheymommy:

Keep trying!

We've tried the boppy, toys, and now the mirror. I've tried laying on my tummy and playing with him. We have an interesting tummy time mat. Something just isn't working. Are some kids just not cut out for tummy time? I'm not going to give up but I'm feeling pretty discouraged. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, try the boppy...and Tr tummy time on your chest, too.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lucia doesn't scream, but she does just lay there.  I turn her head and then she just lays again.  It's pretty depressing looking!  But I'm not super worried - someday she'll decide it's interesting, and then she'll push up.  And even if not, crawling isn't a necessary part of life :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options

I have a tummy time mat that has a baby sized boppy and DD loves it.  It also comes with a mirror.  I also try it when she is in her happiest mood.

Here is the link:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3076120&prodFindSrc=search

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

DS is 15 weeks and still sucks at tummy time. Admittedly I don't make him do it every single day because we don't have any carpeting in the house (not even rugs) so he has to do it on the couch which is obviously not ideal. I know that he does it a lot at daycare though. But anyway, I try to do it when he's in a really good mood and only do it until he starts crying, sometimes that's 30 seconds and sometimes it's several minutes.

He can turn his head when he's on his tummy but he can't hold it up. He's great at holding it up when we're holding him upright and otherwise seems to be developing just fine. I'll probably ask about it at his next appointment if he hasn't gotten better but I'm not too terribly worried. Like PP said, there's not requirement that babies crawl!

• Options
    does he like any type of music? or lights? that is what helped us with tummy time. its gotten A LOT better!!! not spectacular, but better. she has a couple of little toys that light up and play music, one is by baby einsteins and it looks almost like a little mp3 player. she LOVES that one as well as the toy on her playmat that lights up and plays music. we take if off the top and put it at eye level so she's stimulated by the lights. that buys us about 10 mins at a time lol.
    Meagan and Travis
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 2/27/11 Missed M/C 4/2/11
    BFP 6/8/11 Delilah Rae born February 17, 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Have you laid down and put him on your chest/tummy facing you?  We do that all the time with DS.  He loves it.  He doesn't get as frustrated as he can get on his mat.  He's still working his head/neck strength even though he's not on the floor.  

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Options
    I don't have advice - just know that DD is 11 weeks today and still can't hold her head up when on her tummy. She just moves her legs like she wants to crawl or scooch. She sits though on the couch and holds her head great (and not always with her back supported). So I'm hoping that is at least making up for it. We tried the boppy and it didn't work either.
                    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

• Options
    imageSY Smiles:
    DS fa-reaked out. I don't think he loved looking at himself crying like that. He'll be 11 weeks old tomorrow and he still doesn't come anywhere near holding his head up. He just lays town facing sideways and screams bloody murder until I pick him up. When I help him sit up he can support his head and look from side to side but when he is on his tummy...nada. He doesn't even try. I'm at a loss. I'm pretty sure at this rate he will start crawling on his 16th birthday. Any tips?
    Oh no! I'm sorry the mirror didn't work :(
  • Options
    My LO is 12 weeks today and does the same thing.
  • Options

Yup- we have a 12 week old tummy time dud, too. :) He sits up really well and can hold his head up, but on his tummy he either just face plants and lays there face down (so weird) or totally gives up and lays still and stares. It's bizarre. 

He's a chub with a huge head, though, so I'm not surprised it;s tough for him.  

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD has had great head control from the start, for a while she was not a fan on tummy time. At about 11 weeks she really started holding her head up and then last week even more - which lead to her rolling over. Dont worry they will it, its on their time tho...silly babies, dont they know we worry about this stuff/
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageSY Smiles:
    imageheymommy:

Keep trying!

We've tried the boppy, toys, and now the mirror. I've tried laying on my tummy and playing with him. We have an interesting tummy time mat. Something just isn't working. Are some kids just not cut out for tummy time? I'm not going to give up but I'm feeling pretty discouraged. 

I'm sorry. It does seem to me that more kids hate it than love it. I guess just keep trying, maybe one day something will click with him. I would not worry too much if he is holding his head up in other positions. 

• Options
    kms34kms34 member

OP....DS was like that too.  I considered him a tummy time failure!  He didn't cry but he would NOT lift his head for anything. He'd just lay there and chew in his hands.  I left him on his tummy for 20 minutes once and he only turned his head once.  I still did it for a few minutes each day for practice.

Then something clicked over the weekend.  I put him on his tummy on Saturday and he was lifting it like a champ!  Same with SUnday and yesterday.  GIve it time...he'll get there :)

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Options
    hizah05hizah05 member
    My DS hates it too, just screams until we pick him up.  Rarely we get him to move his head from one side to the other.  I've found he does the best when we try it on my chest.  He lifts his head way up and looks around so I figure he's got the strength just doesn't like being on his tummy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"