December 2012 Moms
Options

tea?

Today was my first day of 100% decaf coffee, and I'd like to drink hot tea some mornings instead. I've read that some herbal teas are questionable and wasn't the TTGP advice to stop green tea after O because it can cause uterine contractions?

This is one of those questions I can't wait to ask my dr., but for now, what are your opinions? Is decaf black tea or flavored tea okay?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tea?

• Options
    I was conflicted by green tea. I asked my doc about it last week and she had absolutely no issue with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Loo52Loo52 member
    Black tea and flavoured teas like lemon, mint and ginger should be fine. Stay away from herbs like raspberry leaf and camomile and teas with a long list of herbs in them just to be safe. I'd air on the side of caution and stay away from green tea. Roobios tea is better for you than green tea and I've been told its safer during pregnancy but do check with your doctor.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I drink 1-2 mugs of decaf chai every day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about green tea. It's packed with benefits, and if the worst it does is cause uterine contractions, you need not worry. Sex also causes uterine contractions. So does breastfeeding. I'm not about to give up on either of those. Both have been proven to cause no harm to the baby, and I'd be very surprised if green tea made your ute contract more than sex does.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I read that green tea blocks folic acid so I am staying away.  Plenty of others to choose from.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejquirke9881:
    I read that green tea blocks folic acid so I am staying away.  Plenty of others to choose from.

This - green tea inhibits the absorption of folic acid.  However, when TTC it is said to just not drink green tea at the same time you take your PNV (it was suggested to take your vitamin at night if you drink tea in the morning).  So, it might be fine as long as you do that, but I personally am just avoiding it altogether. 

I also heard to stay away from herbal teas.  Some are fine but I prefer to not have to deal with figuring out which are OK and which are not. 

Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way."
    - Martin Luther King Jr.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I normally drink 5-6 cups of tea a day, so I couldn't get through this without my daily cup at least. I switched from normal English breakfast black tea to the twinnings "naturally decaf" one, which seems to be working for me.

I have also heard really bad things about all the chemicals used to make decaf coffee- and that you should stay away from it during pregnancy too; unless it is swiss water processes.  

• Options
    imageKatyDidlettes:

I normally drink 5-6 cups of tea a day, so I couldn't get through this without my daily cup at least. I switched from normal English breakfast black tea to the twinnings "naturally decaf" one, which seems to be working for me.

I have also heard really bad things about all the chemicals used to make decaf coffee- and that you should stay away from it during pregnancy too; unless it is swiss water processes.  

It's actually not that bad.

The chemicals used to decaffeinate the coffee are dangerous and illegal, but only in aeresol form. That's why everyone gets upset over it. The beans are soaked in it as a liquid. Those chemicals also completely burn out at around 100 degrees F. Beans are roasted at a much higher temperature than that, and your coffee pot brews at over 100 degrees F.

The most "dangerous" thing about decaf coffee is that they use much fattier beans to make it, since the decaffeinating process can really dull the flavor.

It's probably less dangerous to have a cup of coffee (decaf or regular) than to indulge a McDonald's craving, if you're worried about chemicals and processing.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    lmb5109lmb5109 member
    I drink white tea in the morning and take my prenatal at night. I think white tea is the same as green as far as folic absorption, so I make sure to not drink tea after 3pm.
  • Options

I am a big tea drinker, but the only ones I am drinking right now are lemon and ginger (I make my own, by buying fresh ginger root and boiling it on the stove).

Be careful of most store bought teas, which add liccorice root as a natural sweetner--liccorice root is not recommended in any amount during pregnancy.

When you have a question about an ingredient, try this website: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/881.html

My pharmacist used to use this to check for interactions when I was on Warfarin (an anticoagulant), which is a drug that interacts with everything.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"