Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Keeping kitties out of crib? (Repost from Babies 0-3mths)

how to keep kitty out of crib?

-->

So I don't have this problem YET, but trying to take preventative measures before baby arrives and see what other mommies are doing with their indoor cats.

I have this deathly fear that our cats are going to get into the nursery and jump in the crib after baby comes home. I was all ready to purchase the Cozy Crib Tent II, but then Amazon stopped selling it and I looked everyone for it then my husband sent me this link:

https://www.safetyresearch.net/2009/02/01/crib-tents-another-hazard-from-the-world-of-unregulated-child-products/

Now I can't think of anything except always keep the nursey door securely closed and never ever let the cats go in there. But I am very worried that one of us will accidently leave the door cracked and cats will get in.

Solutions anyone?? Thanks!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Keeping kitties out of crib? (Repost from Babies 0-3mths)

• Options
    We have 2 cats and all we do is keep the door closed. Sometimes one of them will make a dash for it when we open the door and run in, but it is easy to get her out. Honestly, my cats are not that interested in the baby, one sniff of the head and they just kind of walk away. I wouldn't stress too much about it, just keep the door closed all the time (even when baby isn't in the room, so the cats aren't used to going in there and you don't have to worry about fur).
  • Options
    You might also post this on the nest pets board, but a few things I've heard: put tin foil, bubble wrap, tape, or some other material that cats won't like stepping on in the crib so when they go to check it out they won't like it and hopefully will not want to repeat the experience. Otherwise I think you just have to watch them and keep the door shut- it's not the same but with our dog I make sure I can always see at least one of them if not both (dog or baby).
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I keep the door closed, and it's worked perfectly. My cats pre-baby would scratch at any closed door, insistent on getting in, but for some reason they let it go if they can't come in when the baby's in there. I can understand being afraid of thinking you might leave the door open, but at least with me, you turn into a different person once you have an actual baby to care for and you have a 6th sense for that sort of thing. GL!
  • Options

imageJennyanydots26:
    We have 2 cats and all we do is keep the door closed. Sometimes one of them will make a dash for it when we open the door and run in, but it is easy to get her out. Honestly, my cats are not that interested in the baby, one sniff of the head and they just kind of walk away. I wouldn't stress too much about it, just keep the door closed all the time (even when baby isn't in the room, so the cats aren't used to going in there and you don't have to worry about fur).

This exactly. 

• Options
    we put a screen door up, works wonderfully! $50 at home depot and super easy to install. good luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have two cats and we have a gate on DD's room.  We tired just closing her door but they would scratch at it and wake her. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This is what went down in my house. 2nd trimester I set up the crib, it automatically turned into a cat's play toy. Night I was in labor I set up the pack n play in my room and the cats jumped in. Came home with LO, LO went into the pack n play and out jumped the cats. The cats where sleeping in the crib, in went LO and out jumped the cats. All the doors in my house are left open. LO is 6 months old and the cats have yet to touch her. However, LO is now going after the cats & grabs them, cats have learned to run away when  she's awake too. 
  • Options
    I was very worried about this as well during my pregnancy. The cats were often found napping in his crib and cradle! Once the baby came though they somehow knew to avoid his room and cradle for fear of a screaming baby being in it. Don't stress too much now...just wait and see how the cat/cats do once baby is home then adjust as needed.
  • Options

imagempstochlinski8:
    we put a screen door up, works wonderfully! $50 at home depot and super easy to install. good luck

My mom did this when I was a baby.

We shut the cats in the basement at night.  My male cat will go in the crib when DD2 is in it (he is very social and wants to be attached to a person 24/7), although most cats will avoid babies.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options

imagempstochlinski8:

My mom did this when I was a baby.

We shut the cats in the basement at night.  My male cat will go in the crib when DD2 is in it (he is very social and wants to be attached to a person 24/7), although most cats will avoid babies.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Our cat has no interest in the girls.  She runs the other way when she sees them.  She goes into the nursery but does not go into the cribs because she is to scared of them.
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageRedheadBaker:
    Put the baby in it. 

This. Our cats want nothing to do with DS. 

• Options
    We have three indoor cats who like to sleep just about everywhere they're not supposed to be. When we first set up the crib, all three of them took turns sleeping in and under it. Now that the baby is here, they want absolutely nothing to do with her bed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Fastest year of my life. Lilypie First Birthday tickerswww.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I just keep the door closed, but the instant the baby started sleeping in the crib the cats wanted nothing to do with being in there. They do like to sleep on the attached changing table if I leave the door open though.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Options

I love the screen door idea. But for us, we were in an apartment when we brought our son home in July 2011, so wasn't an option! Before the baby was born, I left the door open to the nursery and covered everything in foil. The foil was supposed to scare the cats away when they jumped on it. My cats weren't bothered by it but what it did do was alert me to when they were snooping around. So I would run in and say "no!" and spray them with a quick squirt of a water bottle. I did this for about a month. Once the baby came home, they were already afraid enough of him that they didn't bother him.

When he was about 3 months old, he moved from the playard in our room at night to his crib. We kept the nursery door closed when he was sleeping in there, still do. And keep it open through the day. Eventually the excitement of the baby furniture died down and they don't bother with the crib anymore. Just make sure you get the kitties out of the room before you close the door. Two times I saw a kitty tail on the monitor as he balanced across the railing of the crib. I panicked but they didn't do anything!

When he was in our room, we left our door open because otherwise the cats would cry and scratch at the door. The playard was very close to the bed and the cats were a little afraid of it. So I would just keep a spray bottle next to the bed and if they scratched their paws on the playard I'd spray them. After a week or two they were not interested in it at all.

But as with ANY pet, don't leave them alone with your baby no matter how calm they are or how much you trust them. Its just the safest route! Good luck!

PS. Don't read too much it will drive you batty! :)

• Options
    My cats are deathly afraid of aluminum foil.  I lined the crib with it for a few weeks before LO was born and I saw where they got in once....and it was never disturbed again.  Now that LO sleeps in his crib they don't want anything to do with it.  The changing table is another story, but I pick my battles with them.  LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"