Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

baby acne/rash & chapped cheeks...? aquaphor?

DS had a bad outbreak of what I believe is baby acne all over his face, into his hairline, back of the neck and his chest about a week ago. It seems to be getting worse, especially when he gets upset they look more red. They are small red bumps that do resemble acne.. but can it be baby acne if its on his chest and neck and such? I'm hoping its not some sort of reaction. Also amongst the 'rash' his one cheek especially is super red and dry looking, like it is very chapped skin. I've read a few posts on here about a product called aquaphor.. does this sound like something I should maybe try in this situation? does aquaphor help with just dry skin or baby acne as well?
I just want to make his skin feel better! I hate seeing it so irritated. :(
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
violet (01.06.2011) & colt (09.27.08)
expecting surprise baby no.3 may 3rd

Re: baby acne/rash & chapped cheeks...? aquaphor?

• Options
    Aquaphor is awesome! I would get some, and maybe try it on a small patch of his skin to see if it helps.
  • Options
    Sounds like baby eczema.  DS has this and we took him to the pedi on Friday for it because we weren't sure what it was.  They recommended getting the areas moist with a washcloth then rubbing in some Eucerin cream.  It has been helping so far!  I think Aquaphor would probably do the same thing.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS had horrible baby acne, and then it did the same thing, a few patches got red and very dry.  Our doc told us it was excema and proscribed a very rich lotion with eucerin in it, we applied at every diaper change and it was better within 24 hours.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    baby aquaphor works great for ds's chapped cheeks and i've heard it also works for diaper rash.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Baby acuaphor works great. DD has a touch of excema as well. Her cheeks had gotten extremely dry and cracked at one point. Her pedi recommended hydrocortisone OINTMENT (not the cream) specificly. OMG worked wonders. I still use it on her cheeks because she still has the excema. It never gets bad because I keep up with it.
  • Options

It sounds like it might be dry skin/eczema vs. baby acne.  I use aquaphor on DS' cheeks and up in to his hairline and it does help.  It is best to put it on right after his bath to hold the moisture in.

My pedi had us try putting the aquaphor on his skin after the bath, but his eczema kept getting worse (it was little red bumps all over his back, belly and thighs).  When that didn't work she prescribed an ointment and the eczema was cleared up in a few days.  Now, we just apply lotion 2X per day and run a cool mist humidifier in his room to prevent the eczema from returning.

IDK what kind of soap and lotion you use, but our pedi recommended that we use a really gentle soap, like Dove Sensitive, and use it sparingly.  Also, she advised against baby lotions since they are full of perfumes and dyes.  We just tried the California Baby Super Sensitive body wash and lotion (available at Target) and it is working great.  GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"