Cloth Diapering

Why pre-folds?

I am still looking at what kind of CD to purchase, though leaning towards a few from a few different brands. I was just wondering why some families choose pre-folds  when the other one piece wonders are there? They are cheaper but I've never wanted to use them so I just wanted to hear the benefits.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Why pre-folds?

• imagemargaretkaye1:

BC they are awesome. 

Easier to wash, dry, don't have to worry about stink and buildup and leaking. Natural fibers.  

All of this. I love using our prefolds, so much more than I thought I would. They are so easy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageArmy_Wife_04:
    imagemargaretkaye1:

BC they are awesome. 

Easier to wash, dry, don't have to worry about stink and buildup and leaking. Natural fibers.  

All of this. I love using our prefolds, so much more than I thought I would. They are so easy.

All of this.

They are incredibly easy to take care of. You don't have to worry about worn elastic, broken snaps, stink, repelling, etc. You can put them on high heat in the dryer and have them ready to go in no time. You can get a really customized fit with a snappy. They're natural fibers. You can buy organic if that's important to you. And, they're incredibly cheap in comparison to the other options.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemargaretkaye1:

BC they are awesome. 

ETA when trifolding in a cover, less to take with you somewhere, take up less room, no stuffing,  

I agree! They're great because you can have a ton of them for cheap, and they absorb a lot! Plus, they are multi-purpose, great for cleaning up baby messes (spit-up...etc) 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had all kinds of diapers for the newborn stage.  I fully expected to love AIOs and fitteds and to despise prefolds.  Turns out the prefolds were my favourites.  They were absorbent, easy to use, easy to clean, and never leaked.  They can be folded to fit a baby's body type.  Love love love them.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • I chose prefolds because of the price.  I needed to do prefolds and covers for the newborn stage anyway, but now I can use them in flips or pockets.  I also love that they double as burp cloths.  If DS spits up while I'm changing him, I use the clean prefold to wipe him off, then I stick it on his bum.  They pull double duty. Stick out tongue

They are also so easy to wash.  No elastic to worry about either, so they can go in the dryer on high and be ready to use in no time.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • I agree with everything else that PPs have said. Plus, you can get adorable covers (for much less $ than an aio or pocket) to match an outfit and have it last all day if you're lucky. :) 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am not a fan for the nb stage, I also hate to snappi...so when I can tri fold and lay in a cover I do. I prefer flats...they dry super fast. I also love AIOs (tots bots and BG elementals so far). I like pockets but hate stuffing, and only like them with hemp, bamboo or cotton inside...hate microfiber with a passion.

I am not in love with PFs, but love Flats and flip covers as an alternative.  

• My stash was all pockets.  All OS except 1 X-Small FB and 1 Small FB. DS was 7lbs 11oz at birth, got down to 6lbs 14oz, and is now well over 10.  The OS pockets still don't fit him, the X-small FB finally fit him around the thighs, but is too tight in the waist now.  None of the others fit him around the thighs, they are way too loose and would not contain anything.  I had a couple of prefolds I'd bought at a consignment store, so I decided to buy a snappi and a cover just to try it out and I LOVE it!!  I try the OS pockets on him about once a week and they are still SO loose around his thighs.  I love that the pockets are easy to wash, quick to dry and really cheap!  
  • imagemargaretkaye1:
    Personally, I don't understand why someone would use flips instead of prefolds. It's the exact same setup, but PFs don't have compression leaks, don't get MF stink, etc. unless you had organic inserts. But the stay dry? I don't get it. The only reason I wouldn't trifold a PF was bc of newborn poo. But a flip is basically a trifolded PF. I got some flips, I looked at them, and I put them away. I don't see the point. 

The Flip organic inserts are like trifolded prefolds.  The stay dry inserts are not.  They are much trimmer than using a prefolds in a Flip cover. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • They are so easy to use and they are cheap!  I don't understand why people find them difficult to put on with a snappi and think that care providers and other family members will struggle with this.  DH, my mother, mother in law, sister in law, and brother can all snappi a prefold and put a cover over it with no problem.  It's really not hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"