Toddlers: 24 Months+

If your 2.5 year old is potty trained....

How independent are they with it?

DS has been PT'd since January but still needs a lot of assistance. I'm just curious if others his age are more independent or about the same. We have a newborn now so I'd love it if I didn't have to help with potty as much bc it's not always possible to drop everything to help! At the same time I don't want to put unrealistic expectations on him.

So, can your LO take off & put on underwear & pants? Get on and off potty themselves? How much assistance do they need?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If your 2.5 year old is potty trained....

• DS needs help, DD does not.  But DD is a Diva and changes her outfits 3-4 times a day, so she is motivated to dress herself.  I don't know if DS's lag is his disinterest in wardrobe, being a mama's boy, or his fine motor issues but he definitely needs help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We've only been PT for a few days so it's all very new. LO can get up and down from the toilet herself.

She knows to pull her dress/shirt up out of the way, and how to wipe for pee, although toilet paper is out of reach so I have to assist with that anyway.

She doesn't think to pull down her knickers though. She'll go to the toilet and stand there and wait for me. If she has a naked bottom she gets up and does her thing without waiting. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • DD is almost 3 and recently PT'd.  She can do it all by herself though we always ask her if she needs help and sometimes she wants one of us to go with her but other times she says "no, Mommy, I do it!"  LOL.  I think boys are a bit slower with motor skills...at least that's been my experience watching my nephews and friends' little boys. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • At that age, she could do her clothes by herself, needed a stool to get on and off the potty (but she's small %wise), and I had to wipe for #2. I vividly remember many times taking #2 off the boob, laying him on the floor mat screaming to wipe #1's butt. It sucks. :/
  • imageSmores730:
    At that age, she could do her clothes by herself, needed a stool to get on and off the potty (but she's small %wise), and I had to wipe for #2. I vividly remember many times taking #2 off the boob, laying him on the floor mat screaming to wipe #1's butt. It sucks. :/

I'm living that right now 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• She just recently stopped wanting my help... especially with #2 she told me to leave her alone today! She wipes and gets dressed & undressed by herself (not perfectly things end up backward sometimes) I still have to remind her to flush and wash her hands but other than that she does it all.

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • DS has been trained since about 28 months, and has been asking for "privacy" in the bathroom since before Christmas.

I try and get in to wipe him after a #2, but he does a pretty good job at that as well.

He can do everything from setting up the potty with the potty-seat and stool, to washing his hands when he is done.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DD is not quite what I would consider fully potty trained yet because she refuses to go poop in the potty but we are in underwear and shes got the pee pee thing down.  She is not very independant with it---needs help pulling pants down and also likes help getting on and off the potty.  She will tell me when she needs to go but I also ask sometimes if she is playing and I notice the "squirm".  Honestly I don't worry about it because I know that everything will fall into place when she is ready and I'm proud of what she's done so far.
  • DD is 2.5 years old and has been PT'ed for about 4 months now. She can go on her own but does require help dressing/undressing depending on the clothes she has on.

She can get on and off the toilet no problem.Doesn't use her stool or seat anymore. 

She wipes herself but doesn't do a very good job of it so we wipe her too, when we can - and obviously we wipe her #2's for her.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DS has been trained or we started in February right before he was 2.5. He still needs help. He is asking for more privacy and has been trying to wipe for #2 but his arms just arent long enough. He goes standing up now, but still needs a bit of help aiming. I am hoping by three or over the next month or so he will be peeing unassisted. 
  • DD can take her pants and underwear off and wipe herself after peeing. She usually uses her little potty at home so I have to dump it and help her put her pants back on, and wipe her butt if she pooped. She can't get on the big toilet by herself.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"