Natural Birth

Did anyone not prepare?

Okay, so I know this sounds crazy, but I want to go natural, but I haven't actually done any sort of preparation (breathing classes, or research on different methods). I have read up on natural birth, like what to expect, and how the body actually responds to the birthing process, and what it does naturally all on it's own.

Did anyone deliver naturally that was as little prepared as I am now though? I know I should probably start preparing. I am taking a child birthing class on the fifth of May. I am due June 21st.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Did anyone not prepare?

• If I were you I would just spend a little time reading online about natural forms of pain relief.  For example: sitting on a birthing ball, tennis balls on your back, warm rice sock, bath, shower, different laboring/pushing positions etc.

There are definitely girls on here who didn't have a specific method and went med-free.   

• PREPARE!!

And it sounds like you are. The reading you have done already is preparation and it is great you're taking a class soon. I think mental preparation/mindset and knowledge are the two most important, necessaryl things to delivering naturally.

My favorite book so far is Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth. The class I took was geared towards natural birth, and I did quite a lot of research about medical interventions.

• Loading the player...
  • And I agree with PP - I didn't go into it with a specific method (like hypnobirthing or Bradley) but I can't imagine not going into it without quite a bit of mental preparation and quite a bit of knowledge.
  • It's definitely possible.  I knew that I wanted a natural birth with both my girls and read a lot.  I delivered in a hospital with a midwife (group of midwives that work in an OB/GYN office) and the group of midwives all knew that I wanted to do everything naturally.  My husband and I had a lot of conversations about my wishes and how he would support me during labor.  For me, spending time researching natural birth, having a wonderful midwife team, and great husband who advocated for and supported me worked very well.    
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did nothing to compare (no books, no real research, no classes), but I'm an L&D RN, so I kind of got the opportunity to see what works and what doesn't for most women.  That being said, I'm sure that it's similar to with most things -- you'll probably never regret doing some prep work!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I took the regular birthing class at my hospital and that was enough for me. Preparing doesn't need to mean studying up on one method and being an expert, just knowing some options is always a good plan.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemamaloves:
    And I agree with PP - I didn't go into it with a specific method (like hypnobirthing or Bradley) but I can't imagine not going into it without quite a bit of mental preparation and quite a bit of knowledge.

This for me too. In my previous 2 births I never adhered to a "method" for natural birth, but I did quite a lot of personal preparation. This included LOTS of reading and research (love Ina May); reframing how I considered labor pain (ex. there's nothing wrong/broken with me. the contractions are powerful waves bringing baby closer to me, etc); strongly believing in myself and my body's capability to deliver a baby (just as countless women have done before me); recognizing that while an epi would eliminate the pain, it presents other more worrisome complications, and the pain of labor is only temporary; and attending a pre-natal class taught by a doula. DH was also prepared in many of these ways, and his support for me was crucial.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like pp said, at least look at forms of pain relief but you don't have to have a method and have practiced it. I'm going to try more things next time, but at least for my daughters birth, any method and any relaxation techniques honestly went out the window. Not that I was well read on any of them.

All that helped me was knowing different positions I could try and being reminded to rest between contractions and that it would eventually be over. Just be educated on what birth is like and what to expect. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I. Winged it, I read stuff on here and online didn't take any classes just followed my gut
  • While it obviously works for some, I find that most people who just plan to "wing it" don't end up with a NB...especially those who try to do this at the hospital.

At the very least you should make sure that your care provider and hospital are going to be supportive.  I didn't go into labor with any specific method, but I was giving birth at home surrounded by supportive MWs who know what NB looks like. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• blush64blush64 member

I did next to nothing to prepare for natural childbirth. It was my first birth so I didn't know what to expect. I saw one video but I couldn't finish the whole thing. I didn't find it helpful to watch others in labour because it just looks painful and scary to me. I am not against the use of pain meds so I knew if it got to the point where I wanted them I would get them. Knowing I had the backup if I needed it was enough for me to keep going. I just took it a little at a time and didn't think about how long it had been or how much longer it would be.

I konw that's not helpful to everyone but that was my first birth experience.

• If you're interested in a few more book recommendations, I have some for you.  I actually emailed Donna - author of the blog 'Banned from Baby Showers' (I highly recommend her blog, btw) - and she recommended getting '25 Ways to Awaken Your Birth Power' and 'Mind Over Labor'.  They're on their way to me via Amazon, so I don't have my own reviews of them yet.  I just started Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and it's an interesting read so far.
    ~Amanda
    Mom to Lily Gayle 4.25.06 Charlotte Kathleen 3.27.09 Samuel Thomas ~8.4.12~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagepinksweetpea2:

While it obviously works for some, I find that most people who just plan to "wing it" don't end up with a NB...especially those who try to do this at the hospital.

At the very least you should make sure that your care provider and hospital are going to be supportive.  I didn't go into labor with any specific method, but I was giving birth at home surrounded by supportive MWs who know what NB looks like. 

• I completely agree with above quoted poster.
  • You should definately prepare ... and it looks like you have been.  Doing reading and taking a child birthing class is great.

It's also important to educate yourself on the birth choices that you don't plan on using - ie. epidural, c-section etc.  No matter how prepared you are for a natural childbirth, your birth may not go the way you plan.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • I am not taking a class or homestudy but I am reading as much as I can...I have been watching a ton or natural birth videos and looking at natural birth/home birth/medfree birth in a hospital photography.  It gives me and my support person ideas on positions. 

I made my DH (who is going to be my main support) a slideshow outline the different stages of labor, what to expect, what it will look like and what he can do to help me through it. 

So I am partially "winging it"....I am also banking on this whole thing to go fast lol.

• The only preparing I did was through this board and a few documentaries. 
    I felt it better to not commit to one method because I knew that if it failed to help me, I'd be completely lost because I hadn't kept an open mind.

You can do it without classes, no worries. 

• I did a lot of reading, but I never took classes, and I never did any breathing exercises etc. That's not how I work.

during my first labor I conscentrated on the sounds I was making, I love music and singing so the sounds were my focus.

During my second labor, I hummed deep in my throat and thought during the entire contraction, 'I want my cervix to open, I want to open I want to open.' and sometimes I had to remind myself that this wasn't pain through injury, this was just a difficult work out to get baby here. I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and that helped so much...though she calls contractions rushes, I just couldn't get my mind around it so I continued to call them contractions, rather then get distracted or stressed over a name; some women find it helpful and relaxing to not think of it as a contraction.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image
  • I did not have a med-free birth, technically. I had an epidural, but it didn't take.

I planned on getting the epidural from the beginning of my pregnancy, so I did ZERO preparation for dealing with the the pain of labor without meds. I know this is not a popular opinion, but I truly feel like it my case nothing could have possibly prepared me for that. I dealt with the pain way better than I thought and I sort of had to just go with the flow. For me, it worked out great. I'm considering a med-free birth this time and I'm not planning on doing any preparation. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"