Blended Families

How would you handle this?

If you have two kiddos several years apart but with close birthdays, and you plan on having a mostly party for one of them but doing a special day out for the other, how do you handle it?  I guess the question is, if you invite people to a party for child A, how do you keep them from feeling obligated to bring a gift for child B without totally excluding child B from the party? I hope that even makes sense. 
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: How would you handle this?

• Why can't you just have a family party for both of them at the same time?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Why don't both children get parties?  Even if it is one big party for both of them why should 1 get a party and the other just get a day out?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKarma1969:
    Why can't you just have a family party for both of them at the same time?
    You could always ave two parties, and send out the invitations to both parties at the same time.  That way people know that when they come to party A, they don't have to bring a gift for part B until PArty B happens.

The fact of the matter is, it's only the family that would bring a gift for Kid B to Kid As party.   So at the very least, have a joint family party and then an individual party/event for the individual kid.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • My son is going to be 13 in July, and my daughter will be turning 9 in July.  Their birthdays are 9 days apart.  I do one joint family party, and then the kids decide what they want to do with their friends for a smaller gathering.  Let me clarify, we don't do 3 parties.  There is one party for family, and then 2 small gatherings where the kids get to invite 3 or 4 friends to go do Laser Tag, or a beach day, or the movies and dinner.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• My boys have had joint parties.  They each had their own set of invitations, and the invitations are sent on behalf of only one of them, so the guests know whose guest they are and bring a gift for only one. 

I've seen this done in other families as well.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • imagela79al:
    If you have two kiddos several years apart but with close birthdays, and you plan on having a mostly party for one of them but doing a special day out for the other, how do you handle it?  I guess the question is, if you invite people to a party for child A, how do you keep them from feeling obligated to bring a gift for child B without totally excluding child B from the party? I hope that even makes sense. 

From an outside perspective, it looks like one child is favored more than the other...and you never want a child to feel like they are unwanted or not special. Having a family party for both children would be a money and time saver for all involved. People can bring gifts for one child or both...their choice.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"