Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

How often do you get pro pics done of your kids/family?

So I was talking to a friend at Charlotte's b-day party yesterday and she was saying she's not the typical 1st time mom and that they didn't do professional pictures for any of the month milestones so far or with Santa or Easter bunny (her DD is about 10 months).  She went on to say that so far the only pro pics they have of their DD are her newborn photos.  I'm pretty much the exact opposite (newborn photos at the hospital, 6m, Christmas/Santa photos, 9m, 1 year, 18 months, Christmas this year and again shortly for her 2nd bday).  

Part of me was a little sad when she said that.   I know at the time it's all kind of a haze and especially that first year when they change so quickly.  I love being able to look back at some great pictures of all of us together that aren't blurry etc.  I know there is no right answer but I also know how much I value having those pictures to look back at especially since I'm rarely in them otherwise since I'm the family photobug.

So I guess my question is where do you fall on getting professional photos of your kids/family?  More on the rarely/never spectrum or more on my end or what?  Just curious.   (By pro pictures I mean either anything like Pennys, Sears, Picture People or a local pro photographer.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How often do you get pro pics done of your kids/family?

• Options
    About every six months or so:  a full session around her birthday, and a mini-session at Christmas.  I can't really afford to do much more than that.
  • Options
    We did the newborn shots in the hospital and then I took him twice more to Sears in the first few months.  Now we stick to Christmas pictures and pictures around his birthday. 
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had an awful experience with a very well known photographer in my area.  I was so burned by that I've never done them again.  I'd love to but I don't know how I'd ever convince my husband to do that again. 
  • Options

We have never had profesional pictured taken. 

That being said, my friend, a photographer, has come over 3 times to take really nice candid shots of my LO, and I am a hobby photographer and I've taken good shots of her at least every few months.

I don't really care for staged photos, so I like these much better and I feel like they capture her personality better.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Whe she was first born we did them every thress months, now that she is 1 we will do them around Christmas time and her birthday. So far we have gotten a family picture done her first time and this birthday. We will try to get an updated one every year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

We did newborn photos, 3m, 6m, 9m, 12m, and 18 m.  We also did Christmas photos both years.   Our daycare also  takes 2 photog sessions a year, which we sometimes purchase. 

I plan on getting more done at 2 years.  I don't have a plan for the future-- just whenever the fancy strikes I guess. I know we'll do family portraits again in the future.

Love, luck, and prayers to my BFPB Dr. SnowflakeBride

• Options
    We did them at (nearly) 4 months, 8 months, Christmas, and 1 year. We'll probably do summer, Christmas, and birthday from now on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had profesional newborn pics taken of both of my kids and christening pictures, then after that, they take professional pictures together for Christmas and individually for each of their birthdays.  So 2x a year now.
  • Options

We went overboard the first year and I don't regret it one bit. We did maternity pics, newborn pics, 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, 1 year pics...we also did Halloween pics. (I am a huge Halloween buff) Yeah, we've had a ton taken. They are the most amazing pictures and I cherish them so much.

I do think we'll calm down a little this year. I plan on getting some done around 18 months (August ish) and then some right before Christmas (a mini session, not a full one) for Christmas cards, etc, and then for his 2 year.

After he turns 2, we'll prob just do Christmas cards - unless we have another LO (which is pretty much the plan) and then we'll start all over. : )

BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    Our hospital brought a photographer in, so we got newborn pics that way. We also did a 3 month session because we were in MI (where our wedding photographer is). That's really it. I do kind of want to do a family session, because we have so few pics together (since no one is ever around to take one!) but I'm okay with not having frequent ones done of DS, since I take plenty of pics of him. I have a good camera and have taken plenty of great pics, and I prefer more "action"/photojournalistic type shots than typical posed ones (even though I know there are plenty of photogs who do the former).
  • Options
    We did hospital, newborn (2 weeks), 3months, 6m, 9m, 12, and from here we will probably do every 6 months until LO2 arrives then we will probably do the same. Plus we do Santa, easter bunny etc.
  • Options

imageseahorse102410:
    We had an awful experience with a very well known photographer in my area.  I was so burned by that I've never done them again.  I'd love to but I don't know how I'd ever convince my husband to do that again. 

Have you thought about doing something like Penny's instead?  Just curious.  We took DD in for Christmas photos that turned out really cute and they were like 30 bucks for several prints and the sitting fee.  May be a better option if he's anti photographer since your only out like 10 bucks for a sitting fee if it doesnt work out..

• Options

I have had zero professional pictures taken of DD.  Ever.  Last time I used a pro photographer for anything was... my wedding nearly 12 years ago.  And that was only because I couldn't take the pictures myself.

On the other hand, I have thousands (I kid you not) of videos and pictures online for our family and friends (and DD - she likes looking through them all).

Maybe I would feel differently if I didn't know how to take a decent picture, but I do, and I have decent camera gear.  Most of my pictures are pocket camera (or, gasp, cell phone camera), because there's no guarantee that I'll have the good camera with me when she does something particularly awesome, but that happens sometimes too.  And maybe I'd care more if I liked posed pictures, but I way prefer candids.

I don't think I'm missing out... 

Edit: removed all the links to photos... I don't know that you guys really care and I don't mean to spam. :)

IMG_8355
  • Options
    We have never had professional pictures done for either of our kids.  But we're a little different because we're experienced hobby photographers and we've taken pretty good pictures of our own kids.  I really don't like a lot of the cookie cutter picture places where they put a phony looking background behind your kid, so that's why we've never been there.  I own studio lighting and a few solid colored backdrops, so when I want that studio look, I use those.  As for the Easter Bunny or Santa, I couldn't care less about pictures with them.  And hiring an independent photographer is expensive.  I'd love to do it some day because it's hard to take family pictures with a timer.  I'd like to see how much better a professional could do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We do newborn, 3 month, 6 month, 9month, 12 month, 18 months, then yearly.  Micah was born on Halloween so his yearly pictures are in the beginning of November so we combine those with Christmas--get it in before they're super busy!  That's when we've been doing a family picture, too, but we'll do another family picture when we take the new baby in for his first set.  I think the plan is then to always do a family picture at the youngest child's yearly pictures. 
  • Options
    We do all our own pics whenever we feel like it. Family pics are rare around here, but no one cares about pics of us. They only want to see DD.
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • Options
    skioskio member

Rarely. And I don't want anyone pitying me for it. 

We did pro 6m photos and it was a horrible experience and I regret doing it very much. A friend I ours got shammed into buying a voucher for a shoot for us. It was an enormous ripoff and while the photos we bought are beautiful, it was a total cocktease. There were so many other photos that we would've loved to have and couldn't pay $700 for. Because that was the price PER photo.

Granted, there are much more affordable places, but I honestly don't like the uber-posed type photos from places like JCP and the like; those would be a waste of money for me. I would prefer a private, photjournalistic-type photographer, and those are out of the budget in my area.

I have a legit dslr and did my own newborn photos, and I have over 4,000 photos of DD saved on a photsite and on flash drives. I really don't think I'm missing out on anything by not having pro pics to look back on.

We did pics with Santa. I don't consider them pro pics; I consider that a holiday prop photo.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"