August 2012 Moms
Options

Angelcare Monitor...

Anyone have this or plan on getting this, not the video one but the regular one. It has great reviews I am just nervous about getting a lot of false alarms.

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Angelcare Monitor...

• Options
    Check Marthafocker's post below. She posted a link to the AAP where they recommend against them. Baby Bargains also recommends against them, so between those two sources, we won't be getting one. But I totally understand the appeal and some people swear by them.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

We used it with DS and plan to use it again. We didn't get any false alarms until DS was older and would stand up along the sides and it wouldn't detect him. It didn't happen too often though.

*I used it much longer than most people do though. I'm a huge worrier and it gave me peace of mind. I'm not going to lie we just stopped using it about 2 months ago when DS started climbing out of his crib & we had to transition him to the toddler bed. Embarrassed

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I bought one off Ebay for like $70.  My best friend used one and swore by it.  I think it will give me great piece of mind at least for the first 6 months or so when the SIDS risk is higher.
  • Options
    My friend used one for all 3 of her kids and loved it.  her first son would not sleep on his back so that is mainly why they got it.  She mentioned the range was great and it stood up to several drops on a hard wood floor.  We were just going to get a sound monitor but after her recommendation we just registered for an angel care (no video).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

We used one with both DD and DS.  We will use it again with this LO.  I still made sure to adhere to all of the warnings regarding safe sleeping habits for infants, and I did not rely solely on the Angelcare monitor to make sure they were doing okay.  DH or I would frequently check on both DD and DS during their sleep times, especially in the first six months.  I think in all of the months we used it there was only one "false alarm" for sleep apnea with DD, but I was not bothered at all by it going off.  

We mostly loved the temperature reading feature, especially when both kids were moved into the nursery upstairs.  Being able to know if it needed to be cooler/warmer in the nursery was very helpful.  It was also just a great audio monitor as well.  

HTH! 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I also read the post below, and understand better now what it was trying to say. They way I understand it is you can still use the monitor even if you take the sensor pad out after some time is that correct?
  • Options

imageashS10309:
    Thanks ladies! I also read the post below, and understand better now what it was trying to say. They way I understand it is you can still use the monitor even if you take the sensor pad out after some time is that correct?

Yes.  You can use the other monitor's features without having the sensor pad connected.

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    Just a little story. I definitely will be using this system. My cousin was asleep and the sensor went off and their house was on fire. They still had time to get from one end of the house to the other and get everyone out safely. Without that monitor it is a posibility that they would have never realized anything was wrong!
  • Options

One of DH's co-workers brought it to our attention and I hadn't heard of the AngelCare monitor before. The co-worker used it for their first child in which the monitor went off and it was not a false alarm. They used it for their second child for that reason and didn't have any false alarms until their child started getting up...like other posters have experienced.

We'll be getting one, absolutely. A few false alarms is better than a tragedy IMO.  

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are planning on getting one, I rather have a false alarm than not know at all. Even if we didn't get one I know I'd be up checking on the baby god only knows how many times a night lol. 
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    i went back and forth on this.  I found one at a consignment sale for $20 so I said why  not. i got it home and it works great (tried it with my nephew haha) so if i decide I hate it I didn't spend a fortune but my co-worker's son stopped breathing twice and it caught both times... to me that is worth a few false alarms if they happen. 
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

I have one and LOVED it as well. I had it go off twice in over a year and a half. Once he wiggled off to the way corner of the crib. The other time, he was in the center of the crib and the alarm didn't even wake him up. I picked him up because it scared me. Not sure if it caught anything or not. He looked fine, but definitely in a deep deep sleep.

I think the AAP doesn't recommend them because there are too many idiots out there who would use them incorrectly or add toys and blankets thinking that they are now "Safe" cause they are using an apnea monitor.

TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"