Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Anyone else doing one on one swim lessons?

My MIL has been taking my son once a week to one of one swim lessons.  I think it is really great she is doing this since I just do not have time to commit and really want son to learn to swim.  Do you think it is a waste to do this at this age (he will be two next week)?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone else doing one on one swim lessons?

• Options

One-onone as in he is the only child in the class or that you MIL gets in the pool with him during class?

Either way, if you can continue to afford the lessons, the fact that he is comfortable with the water and is always practiing his skills is great.  However, I do not think that it will make him able to swim indpendently.  Most kids lack the coordination at this age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    It can't hurt.  Why not have one on one swim lessons?  Sounds like a good plan to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are starting with DD this summer (she'll be 2 at the end of July). We're doing once a week private lessons. It's 30 minutes long. I dont expect much from it; I just want her to get comfortable with the water. As it is she loves pools and swimming, so I think this will be a good thing for her.
  • Options
    It is one on one- just my son and a teacher.  MIL not allowed in pool during lesson.  He loves it.  I am not sure what to expect.  They are signed up for 8 lessons but she wants to extend it for another 8 weeks or double them up 2 a week.
  • Options
    I've been taking DS since he was ~6mos old. I think it's great. It's basically a fun playdate in the water and he's learning/developing motor skills.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not at all.  We're starting a two on one class in the next few weeks (B, one other little girl her age, and the teacher).  The teacher says this is the best age to begin learning. 
  • Options

DH and DD do a swim class once a week.  I don't think it's a waste at all! It starts getting them used to being in the water, to holding their breath under water, to being in a lifejacket etc.  

Plus, it's great bonding time.  I think it's great that your MIL is doing it! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Options
    If a one-on-one lesson is the only way to get him in the pool regularly, then go for it. If you're looking for something cheaper, do the parent/tot class. Either way, it's just a matter of getting your child comfortable in the water at this age (coming from a swim teacher). I have seen kids at the age of 2 able to swim, so keep up with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"