June 2012 Moms

What to wear during delivery...

I know this is a slightly weird question :-) But at my last appointment the doctor mentioned wearing a sports bra and a labor skirt if possible. However, I plan to be up and walking around the halls as much as I can until the baby is born so I will probably add another layer (maybe a tank) over my sports bra. But what other alternatives are there besides a labor skirt? I really just want to be as comfortable as possible and don't want to have to worry about a hospital gown!

Re: What to wear during delivery...

• I wore the hospital gown and took a robe with me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wore the hospital gown, and they had a robe for when you walked around.  What i was wearing was the last thing I was worried about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • With DS, I just wore what they gave me.  I didn't want to buy anything that as going to get messed up anyway.
  • BRBR member

imagesnicksnack:
    I wore the hospital gown and took a robe with me. 

This is what I'm doing.  I never thought about wearing anything besides the hospital gown.

• sam19sam19 member
    With my first, I just wore a hospital gown. With this one it's a RCS so just a hospital gown again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • I just wore the hospital gown. For me having a sports bra would just be extra clothing. I wanted skin on skin contact and to nurse right away. I wouldn't have wanted the hassle of trying get a sports bra off to nurse, especially being hooked up to IVs and such. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not wear a sports bra, if you plan to nurse.  I wore one with DD and ended up with a c-section.  Between the heart monitor lines, the IV lines and all the other tubes, I couldn't get the bra off to nurse DD.  The nurse had to work very hard to get it off of me during post-op.  I actually almost told her to just cut it off.

So, this time, I will be wearing a nursing bra and the hospital gown.  I will also wear yoga pants, until things get messy.  I'm not one for walking the halls with my butt exposed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedoxgirl:
    I just wore the hospital gown. For me having a sports bra would just be extra clothing. I wanted skin on skin contact and to nurse right away. I wouldn't have wanted the hassle of trying get a sports bra off to nurse, especially being hooked up to IVs and such. 

This is a good point. With DD I just wore the hospital gown and once she was out, the nurse pulled my gown down for immediate skin to skin, so a bra would have been in the way, and  annoying to deal with at that moment. 

With DS I had my own nursing nightgown and housecoat that I wore, but he was a waterbirth, so most of my time at the hospital was in the tub (with nothing on).  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didnt walk around but I wore a nrusing sleep bra and the hospital gown. Those I saw walking are usually in the gown (with another one backwards or a robe) and slippers.

If you want to have clothes on: then I would say a nursing bra (a comfy one) and a nursing/materity shirt/tank you dont care if its ruined.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I will be primarily laboring in water, so I am just wearing a sports bra.  If I decide to walk to halls, I will probably wear a gown with the sports bra under it so that I can easily remove it once I want in the water.
  • Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

I know hospitals have high cleaning standards... but wearing the hospital gown has always seemed gross to me. A bunch of my friends agree that wearing the gown is a no go for them as well. So I am going to order 2 of these? an extra just in case the first gets messy? https://prettypushers.com/products.html Also, one of my friends is a Bradley instructor and recommends them to all her clients. Smile And the other mommies I know who have had them said they worked like a dream. 

• I was told if I wear a sports bra be prepared to have it cut off because my hospital is big on skin-to-skin contact and if you have an IV you can't easily remove a sports bra. I am actually hoping to get a Hot Mama Gown. They are like hospital gowns in the fact that they snap up the back (so your butts not exposed) and on the arms so it can be removed even with an IV, but they are 100% organic cotton and much prettier that hospital gowns. Plus they are not just one sizes fits all. I have two on my registry. I also won a Little Monkey hat from them and absolutely love it. The nice things is, it's a mom run company.

https://www.hotmamagowns.com/

BabyFruit Ticker during pregnancy Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I prefer a nursing/sports style bra and just wearing two gowns- one forward and one backwards.
  • Hospital gown and a robe for when walking around.

FWIW, I was induced and couldn't go farther than the couple of feet from the monitors so I never used the robe. 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I got a pretty pushers gown. It was super cheap and it's extremely comfortable! I think it looks a lot better for pictures than the regular floral hospital gown. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I wore a tank top, sports bra, and loose pants at home.  Kept the sports bra under my hospital gown once I got to the hospital.  Didn't make it out of my room to walk around before DS was born.  If I get to the hospital a little earlier this time and want to walk around, I'll probably wear the hospital gown and a second on top (open in the front) to cover my butt.  I don't want all the nasty stuff on my own clothes.

ETA: I pulled the sports bra up over my breast to nurse.  I don't have huge knockers, so it wasn't difficult.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • imageemberlee3:

ETA: I pulled the sports bra up over my breast to nurse.  I don't have huge knockers, so it wasn't difficult.

Yeah, this definitely does not work with the over the shoulder running boulder holders I have to wear.

• Thanks so much for the links above, ladies! I was starting to think I was the only one who didn't want to worry about a hospital gown :-) Definitely helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"