3rd Trimester
Options

Induction???

Hi! At my last doc. appointment, 37wks,5d I was dilated 2cm. and baby was at station 0.  My group b strep test was positive.  Doc. said he'd check me again at my next appointment, which is this Thursday May 3rd.  He said if I had progressed and dilated more I might want to consider being induced so that I will know for sure that I will get my antibiotics in enough time before delivery.  He said I didn't have to be induced and it was totally up to me.  I called scheduling to see when the latest was I could schedule and they want me to decide before next appointment, induction date would be May 8th.  What do you all think?  Be induced....or wait it out?

Re: Induction???

• Options

Wait.  Rarely is labor so quick that you wouldn't have a chance to get the antibiotics in time.  It's much better to go into spontaneous labor, than it is to be induced, when mom and baby are healthy (which you are).

Even with my "fast" labor with DS, I was still laboring at the hospital for 4 1/2 hrs, before he was born.  You'll have time. 

IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • Options
    Two things...one...is this your first?  If it is then I would wait, you will have plenty of time to get the antibiotics.  Two....this is just me, but I would ignore what scheduling told you.  If you go to the OB on thursday and they want to schedule an induction I have a feeling your OB can make that happen.  I would wait and discuss with your doc. again on Thursday.  good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would wait and see.  There shouldn't be a rush to get you in - I know the hospital has been able to fit me in whenever my doctors have wanted me to be there.  It may be inconvenient, and it may mean bumping another scheduled patient back,  but it'll happen.

In any case, I'd want more information on the state of things then - induction is more likely to be successful (and avoid c-section) if you are already dilated (the more, the better), if baby is in position, etc.  If you have an option and things are not favorable, then I'd wait.  It can be scheduled later, and as others have said, you probably have plenty of time to get the antibiotics in.

The other question for me to my doctor would be about how he would go about inducing labor, given my particular circumstances (position of baby, status of cervix, etc).  I'd want to know that before I agreed to be induced, again because if you aren't favorable, a nice slow induction with plenty of chance for cervical ripening and building contractions would be preferable to, say, just breaking your water and waiting to see what happened (though as a GBS+ patient, I wouldn't expect them to do that).  Get all the information and THEN make a decision.  Your doc will be able to assist with scheduling, I have no doubt.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"