December 2010 Moms
Options

Shopping with LO question

When its just me and C (or even if DH is along) I/we spend most of the time we are shopping talking and singing to him or handing him items to throw in the cart.

People look at me like I have five heads - even people with kids! Is it really that weird?

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

Re: Shopping with LO question

• Options
    I talk to her a little and give her something to keep her occupied if she gets fussy, but otherwise I am trying to get in and get out before she tries to get down and walk. ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    If it is than I have 5 heads as well because I'm constantly doing that with J while we are shopping

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I guess I'm a quiet shopper :)  I talk to C a little bit but really I'm just trying to get in and out of the store.  He's pretty content to look around and try to grab the nearest fruit off of the table.  

I don't think I would look at you weird though.  I've definitely learned that you need to do whatever it takes to get you through an outing! 

photo 53b360e6-ee99-4f9e-a024-83bbcf2fab7d_zps358d4ab4.jpg Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    C will stay content in the cart as long as we are talking to him. It makes for a nice shopping trip since we're not rushing, but I sound like a crazy person. I think its a decent price to pay for shopping sanity. Haha

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

• Options

imagemands629:
    I talk to Lulu all the time in the cart.  Instead of having those conversations in my head (Should I get the deoderant that smells like peaches or the one that smells like rain?) I just say it out loud to Lulu.  She normally answers in baby talk, reaches for something, I tell her no, that's not what I asked, take it away, and replace it quickly with something I want.  I also let her help me put the stuff on the belt during check out and pay the cashier.  It seems to work because we haven't had a meltdown yet!

Haha, I do the same thing! Elliott also enjoys chucking things into the cart that I give him and putting things on (and taking them back off) the belt at the checkout. He's usually better at Target than at the grocery store, but then again I like Target better, myself. Stick out tongue

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have gotten stares when it's just been Evie and me, like talking to your kid is the same thing as talking loudly to yourself.  I don't get it either, especially now that she can answer back.

Event with talking our trips to the store go like this: calm acceptance of being in the cart (approx.10- 20 min.) , a meltdown that will only be fixed by being carried by mommy, happily carried by mommy (approx 10-20 min.), a meltdown that will only be cured by freedom, crazed running around the store (until mommy and daddy give up and go home.)

However, last night she pushed a full grocery cart around for over 10 minutes.  The only problem was that she wouldn't stop going, so one of us had to continuously steer her in the right direction and then circle back to were the other was selecting our food.

image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Options
    imageEVM1216:

I have gotten stares when it's just been Evie and me, like talking to your kid is the same thing as talking loudly to yourself.  I don't get it either, especially now that she can answer back.

Event with talking our trips to the store go like this: calm acceptance of being in the cart (approx.10- 20 min.) , a meltdown that will only be fixed by being carried by mommy, happily carried by mommy (approx 10-20 min.), a meltdown that will only be cured by freedom, crazed running around the store (until mommy and daddy give up and go home.)

However, last night she pushed a full grocery cart around for over 10 minutes.  The only problem was that she wouldn't stop going, so one of us had to continuously steer her in the right direction and then circle back to were the other was selecting our food.

Thats pretty cute.  J likes to get whatever is on sale at the checkout line.  He grabbed goldfish and put it on the belt last time. Since it was BOGO I told him he could have another and he got all excited and threw another one on the belt lol 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • Options
    I talk to DS, too. But I also live in a military area with a high population of SAHMs so usually when I'm shopping so are all the other mothers with young children and they don't give me a second glance, lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesroszc:

I guess I'm a quiet shopper :)  I talk to C a little bit but really I'm just trying to get in and out of the store.  He's pretty content to look around and try to grab the nearest fruit off of the table.  

I don't think I would look at you weird though.  I've definitely learned that you need to do whatever it takes to get you through an outing! 

me too - and DS doesn't know how to throw - he still only eats things =) We'd have no groceries left!

Adorable siggy by the way.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options

I have a relatively happy shopper (at the grocery store anyway...clothes shopping is a different story!).  I do discuss what i'm buying and what we're looking for.  I don't think talking and singing is crazy at all!  Once I saw a mom saying "Uh Oh!" over and over again, which I thought was funny at the time, but if it makes the kid happy and quite then whatev! 

Sing away!  :)

photo 82cd8793-783f-431f-96f0-fcca1084a640_zpsc15e5cb6.jpgimage"Daisypath"> Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

photo d5624905-a6b6-418f-b278-83e809b23a24_zpsd0363f36.jpgBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I talk to C all the time when we're out shopping, but I feel like a crazy person whenever I do it =)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I guess I don't talk to Jonny that much - but he's a pretty happy shopper and really content to just look around and check everything out. If he points at things then I tell him what they are or say things like "Yep, I'm getting more milk for you" or "this is the food I'm getting for Jonny's lunch".

Now he likes to walk next to me (sometimes holding my hand if he'll let me) from the car to the front of the grocery store and when I point out the carts and say, "Are you ready to get in a cart?" He gets all excited and starts running towards them motioning me to pick him up. I think he likes being up tall where all the action is.

• Options
    kj07kj07 member
    B is usually too busy waving at everyone to have time to have a conversation with me.
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options

Are you sure they are looking at you in a judgy way as opposed to just a "that's different" way? I do think that many parents kind of ignore their kids when shopping because it is hard to pay attention to entertaining the kid while also browsing the aisles. So I think that you  are out of the ordinary. But hopefully people aren't looking at you in any sort of negative way. They should be happily in awe.

I'd say I'm somewhere in between. I definitely talk to DS a lot and when the store is pretty empty (it usually kind of is because we go at 7 or 8am on the weekend) I go "wheeee" and speed the cart along in a fun way.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemands629:
    I talk to Lulu all the time in the cart.  Instead of having those conversations in my head (Should I get the deoderant that smells like peaches or the one that smells like rain?) I just say it out loud to Lulu.  She normally answers in baby talk, reaches for something, I tell her no, that's not what I asked, take it away, and replace it quickly with something I want.  I also let her help me put the stuff on the belt during check out and pay the cashier.  It seems to work because we haven't had a meltdown yet!

LOL

I talk to Nate all the time and we sing little songs too.  Most of the moms I pass are doing the same thing though, so I guess that's normal where we live.  It's really common to hear another mom tell her kid to "say hi to the baby" too.  We spend our entire shopping trip waving at other babies in the other baskets. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemands629:

This is like 90% of what I do. Haha! And he babbles right back to me. Cracks me up.

• Options
    I get looks because I let DS roam. I mean, he's with me, and in the aisle, but I have no qualms about letting him just walk around and look. He's good at not touching, and I enjoy giving him SOME freedom. But it makes me laugh because with DD I was *so* opposite.
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options
    It depends if we are shopping with a cart or with his stroller: when he's in the cart I talk to him and show him things. But if he's in the stroller facing away from me (like when we go to the mall) I just let him kind of look at everything and we have more of a quiet trip :)
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    I talk to DS constantly about what I'm buying, where we're going, blah blah blah. People probably do look at me funny, but I've never noticed. Not like I would give 2 shits! lol

• Options
    I'm not at all against anyone talking to their toddler in the cart, but DD and I are very quiet shoppers lol.  She is super well-behaved in the cart, just taking in her surroundings.  I occasionally say stuff to her, but for the most part I just grab my stuff and get out!
  • Options

imagekj07:
    B is usually too busy waving at everyone to have time to have a conversation with me.

This exactly.  G is a huge flirt and is most happy when he is making eyes at other shoppers, restaurant goers, what have you.  I'm lucky to get in and out without having several conversations with old ladies that G has ensnared with his come hither eyes.  Lol 

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"