Working Moms
Options

CP: maid service

Do you pay someone (maid, cleaning service, nanny, etc.) to help with housework?  Not outdoor stuff like landscaping, just inside.  I'm trying to get DH on board with hiring a cleaning lady and would love to hear your experiences.  If you don't mind sharing the cost, frequency, and if you think it's worth it that would be great!

We are going to try to make a schedule for ourselves first, but I don't have high hopes.  DH is notorious for doing really well at first but getting lazy on me later.  It just isn't cutting it and I need some help.

[poll]

Re: CP: maid service

• Options
    Definitely worth it!   DH had to talk me into it at first but I don't know what I would do without it now.  We pay $125 every two weeks for a 2600 sq ft house (in a HCOL area).   Cost is usually by the hour so you can have them do a lot or a little, whatever works. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our nanny does light housekeeping and E's laundry. I think we're getting someone to just clean, I have zero time (or desire) to spend what little free time I have cleaning bathrooms!
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our housekeeper comes weekly and charges $20/hr.  This is definitely a luxury that I appreciate and will budget to keep her. 
    Missed m/c discovered 11.30.09 at 9w2d DS Born 10.26.10 Missed m/c discovered 11.7.11 at 8w3d Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We pay $80 every two weeks for 2000sq ft.  It is literally one of the best things we've done for ourselves, for our marriage and for our family.  We both get really frustrated with a messy house.  It was causing arguments and the stress of constantly having some part of the house looking disgusting.  Surprise visitors would send us both into a panic or embarassment.  

It also allows us to focus our attention on other house projects or bigger cleaning tasks (like painting, baseboard scrubbing or window cleaning)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I voted no, but for a few months when DD was a baby, my MIL helped us clean.  We paid her $50 a week and she cleaned our 1000sf home.  I kept it tidy but never got around to sweeping, moping or cleaning the bathroom.  She just kinda stopped doing it, but it was really nice we had help for a bit. 

Now that I'm not so overwhelmed with the kids and housework, I just do it.  DH does help a lot as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mwdmwd member
    Occasionally we hire a mother's helper to entertain the kids while DH and I go on a cleaning spree. Much less expensive, and then I can clean to my satisfaction.  It works for us. 
  • Options
    We live in a 2BD, 1BA house, 1200 sq.  $65/each time.  SO WORTH it.  We did 2x/mo when we had a nanny but now we do 4x/mo since DD is in preschool so we have more free cash flow.  
  • Options

We can't afford the extra several hundred a month right now, but as soon as we can I want to hire a cleaning service to come at least twice a month.

We do have a gardener that comes weekly though. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    We have a maid every two weeks and pay 120 each time. My house is 3800, but we do not use the upstairs, so all it requires is vacuuming. No dusting or cleaning of bathrooms. I think its a little overpriced for my area as I know others that pay 100, but we trust the lady. Def worth it!
  • Options

We pay a neighbor $50 every other week to do our 1200 sq ft home. Not having to do bathrooms and knowing the floors have been done well at least that often is huge. Now that DS is potty training it's even more important so I can just do quick wipe downs as needed!

We tried a few services but didn't have great luck. We may use someone else this summer to do a more thorough job when then the neighbor is on vacation (recommended by a friend but I don't want to 'fire' my neighbor as it really has worked out well for all of us).

• Options

I have no idea what our square footage, but I would estimate its ~ 2500-3000.  We pay 100 EOW.  She vacuums, dusts, etc. plus does the kitchen and bathrooms.  It wasn't getting done before, but it WEIGHED on me and I was totally stressed trying to get it done.  Its soooo much better now.

We've had some help w/ our yard and I am trying to get DH to hire a regular person.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I totally think it is worth it. When DH was working 7 days a week this past fall from August - November, I had them come out once a month. I also did it through a company that uses only "green" products since DS was crawling everywhere during that time frame and all over our floor, etc. I just recently dropped the service to once every 3 months for a DEEP seasonal cleaning, which is going to run us about $300. It is so worth it though. We are finally balanced enough to keep up with the maintenance of every day cleaning but I really like for them to come and help with things and make sure everything is thoroughly cleaned all at once.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    SS - No, but I am planning to call a service this week!  I just can't keep up.  I think every other week would be perfect.
  • Options
    We have someone come every 2 weeks and it's totally worth it. I wish I could justify having her come every week.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We have someone e/o week also. Totally 100% worth it. I hate cleaning & what's more, I pretty much suck at it even when I try hard. It's one less thing to worry about and I love it.
  • Options
    Hiring a cleaning person was the best decision I've made in a long time. She comes once a week and charges $50 each time. It takes so much stress off and weekends have become much more enjoyable. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We pay $150 for a lady to come once a week.  Our house is 4700 square feet but I think she only regularly cleans about 2500-3000 of that.  And it is definately worth it.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options

We pay $120/weekly for a 4 bedroom 3500+ sf home.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"