Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

When to do 3 solid feedings per day

We are doing a breakfast and lunch.  When do people usually go up to three solid feedings?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When to do 3 solid feedings per day

• Options
    It all depends on LO.  Our little guy started on solids at 4.5 months and he was only getting a little oatmeal at dinner.  About 5.5 months I added lunch because he seemed unsatisfied once he was done nursing.  We added breakfast when he was just over 6 months because he would nurse at 6 then want to nurse again at 7:30 which meant that he was still hungry.  He still eats 3 times a day but the amount he eats varies depending on how much BM he got when he nursed.  He sometimes won't take more than a bite but other times he will wolf down everything I offer and cry if I don't give him more.  I would follow your LO's lead.  If your LO doesn't seem hungry, I wouldn't worry about adding another "meal" until they about 9 months at which time my pedi has always suggested offering solids before milk.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

DS is 8 mos old and we started food at 5 mos. We always did the noon with food and also the 4:00 with food. Now I've added food at breakfast (8:00). He still finishes his day at 6:00 with a bottle only.

We just started the 3rd meal last week.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just started :-)
  • Options
    I just added a 3rd meal (lunch) last week when realizing that DS was drinking more formula than nutritionally necessary. He had just turned 6 months. So far, so good!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have just started this past week.  At our 6m appt our Pedi said to move towards 3x per day closer to her 9m appt.  She'll be 8m in a week, so we figured we would try now.  Sometimes one of the meals is little--like just some yogurt, or some sweet potato fries, or even just some Mum Mums and puffs.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    We just started too. He gets 1 oz of pur?ed fruit with a sprinkle of cereal to thicken it a bit for breakfast, 2 oz at lunch and 3 oz at dinner.
  • Options

We've been doing 3x/day since he hit 8 months, mostly due to having to eat breakfast & lunch at daycare. We might have gone to it sooner, but rarely had the time in the morning. He probably would have gone for it at 6 months--he loves to eat!

• Options

We didnt do 3 solid meals until after 1 year old. "Food is fun until 1". Until then, I knew formula was most important so for me, feeding food 3 times a day and formula 5-6 times a day = 9 feedings a day for ONE person = too much for me.

I.e. I didnt want to drop formula feedings until 1 year old, because that's most important, or so I hear. Thus, I didnt want to add solid food meals until I was dropping formula feeds, which was after 1 year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    DD is 7 months today and she gets 3 meals a day when we feel like it.  Sometimes it's just twice at the sitter's and sometimes she has dinner with us for the third.  She's never turned down the spoon and she still takes the same amount of milk (7-8 feedings) no matter how often we give her real food.  You can always offer the third solid feeding and if the baby doesn't want it then give it a break for a while. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"