Natural Birth
Options

34 weeks and breech positioning-

I am really struggling with discouragement and a bit of depression, after two consecutive visits with my MW, and both of those visits having an ultrasound that showed baby at first was transverse, and then two weeks later, frank breech.

I have been seeing a chiropractor since 24 weeks, and they have been using the webster technique on me at each visit. Our doula is spinning babies certified, and we have our first home visit with her tomorrow, so we will get to work right away to get him turned.

Heres the thing- I feel like there is little hope of baby turning. Does he still have time? My MW and a skilled OB from her practice will try to turn him with a version at 37 weeks if he hasn't turned by then, but I just have this sad feeling that nothing will work, and I will end up with a C-section.

Am I being ridiculous? My husband is totally supportive, and understands my incredible dissapointment at this news...but he also encourages me to cheer the F*** up.

I am familiar with every single possible option of getting him to turn- medical and natural/homeopathic. So we will try everything possible to turn him... I guess I just want to know if there are any other moms out there who had a breech baby turn in the last month of pregnancy?

Re: 34 weeks and breech positioning-

• Options

It s ok to be stressed. It's a big deal. Tell DH to back the f off. My LO turned right before we were going to schedule the version. I went for the webster then had moxibustion. I felt a ton of movement but knew he wasn't head down. So I scheduled another round. I left straight from Webster apt to moxi apt. I asked to do the moxi while on hands and knees. He turned that night. 

Best of luck to you.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Plenty of time for your LO to flip. Try not to stress about it.  I always go back to the story that my little sister was breech up until a week AFTER her due date, and still managed to flip before she was born.  GL.

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I totally know how disappointing that can feel. DS turned to breech at 37w and I was not a candidate for a version. A c-section was scheduled for the following week. I tried all the spinningbaby things to do at home and nothing was working. Then a friend told me about using peppermint essential oil. Have you come across that?? I've mentioned it on here whenever a breech baby comes up in a post, but just in case...

Apparently baby can smell the peppermint oil and doesn't like the smell of it. So if you put it on your upper belly where his/her head his, they will try to turn away from it to head down. I did this at night before going to bed and the next morning he was head down!! I kept putting it on for the next few days until I felt more confident he wouldn't flip again, which he never did. I ended up getting induced 2 weeks late due to low fluid :)

I hope something works for you but know that there is still time!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I am feeling exactly the same way you are!! I have known for a while now that the baby was breech and it was confirmed at a growth u/s at 32 weeks. I started seeing a chiropractor last week and will see my acupuncturist this week. I have been doing the spinning babies techniques and everything else I can imagine.

I am frustrated, scared, and sad. I am trying not to lose hope that the baby will turn but I think it is the fear of a c-section that is causing me to worry (combined with the fact the baby is measuring big and I am concerned he/she may not have enough room to turn at this point). A section is so completely on the other end of the spectrum from the med-free/natural birth I have been planning since long before we became pregnant or even started TTC. Logically I understand that this baby may not turn and I may have to accept a c-section but accepting it emotionally is very difficult for me. 

I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions to offer you. Just know that you are not alone! I hope we can get these babies to turn!

• Options
    imagelily225:

I totally know how disappointing that can feel. DS turned to breech at 37w and I was not a candidate for a version. A c-section was scheduled for the following week. I tried all the spinningbaby things to do at home and nothing was working. Then a friend told me about using peppermint essential oil. Have you come across that?? I've mentioned it on here whenever a breech baby comes up in a post, but just in case...

Apparently baby can smell the peppermint oil and doesn't like the smell of it. So if you put it on your upper belly where his/her head his, they will try to turn away from it to head down. I did this at night before going to bed and the next morning he was head down!! I kept putting it on for the next few days until I felt more confident he wouldn't flip again, which he never did. I ended up getting induced 2 weeks late due to low fluid :)

I hope something works for you but know that there is still time!! 

Thank you for posting this. I will try this out this week. At least it can't hurt and is worth a try!

• Options

so sorry baby is being so stubborn :(

similar to the peppermint oil, try icing the babys head.  Baby will be able to feel the cold and move away from it.  

Also I have heard shining a flashlight on the lower part of your stomach (by your pubic area) the baby may tend to "move toward the light"

hopefully spinning babies will help as well.  

I would hold off as long as possible to schedule a C section, its amazing how flexible babies are and how much stretching our body can handle.  I've even heard of babies flipping to head down when contractions become consistant...

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first baby was frank breech as well, and I tried many natural ways to turn him but nothing worked. He did not turn on his own BUT we had a successful version at 37 weeks, I went into labor at 39 weeks and had a wonderful natural birth. I wish I could tell you he did turn on his own (that's what I had hoped for the whole time) but I'm posting this just to let you know I had a very succesful and positive version experience, and I would do it again if need be. It was totally worth it. It was very "medical", which I didn't like (it included a lot of the interventions I wanted to avoid during labor/delivery) but like I said, I'm so glad I did it and it made it possible for me to have the intervention-free labor/delivery I had hoped for. Good luck to you! It is 100% possible your baby will turn, but if he doesn't, a version might end up being a wonderful option for you.
  • Options

Thanks everyone for your responses and support- I have tried the peppermint oil, and it has gotten baby moving a LOT at night, but so far still in the breech position. The good news though, is that it showed me how much room he still has left to move around in. Our doula is spinning babies certified, so last night we hunkered down for about 45 minutes and practiced spinning babies, which also got baby moving a ton, and gave me a few braxton hicks afterwards.

I am very hopeful now, compared to this past weekend, and am expecting him to flip any day. At last resort, we will definitely schedule the version.

Mamaloves- Thanks for your perspective on this! I have been pretty concerned about it, but feel better after reading more about the success of the procedure.

• Options
    CelynCelyn member

You still have time to turn.  I've seen babies flip at 42 weeks, I've also seen them flip in labor.  Why are they only giving you until 37 weeks to turn?

ETA - sorry, I had a kid in my lap and misread about the external version and section :) 

• Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling so down. But there is plenty of time for the baby to turn! DD was doing some amazing stuff in there late in pregnancy, and my belly looked like a pot of boiling water the night my water broke (did she do that??). Our eyes were as wide as dinner plates watching this happen. They can still move around quite a bit!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

UPDATE!!

I saw the midwife today, and baby is totally head down! Pretty exciting.

We have been doing spinning babies for the last two weeks, and it worked. MIRACLE stuff, those positions are. :)

• Options

My second son was breech and I didn't know until we were pushing, so I got a vaginal, natural breech birth (luckily frank breech also, which is easiest to do vaginally).  Honesly, I was really glad that the midwives and I didn't catch it b/c I now stress about if the third will breech what I would do. 

Edited when I sawy your update: Glad the baby is head down and I hope the little one stays that way!

Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"