C-sections

Meds making me get the chills and shake...

...has anyone experienced this yet? It is enough to make me give them up, but I am afraid if this is a withdrawal symptom and I have been on them for a week and a half....

I have been taking a narcotic and ibuprofen to manage my pain since 4/19. First med was a generic percocet. I complained to dr something with it was giving me chills when the pill wore off and i was ready for another dose. Dr then iinstead gave me hydrocodone. So now i take ibupfrofen 800 every 6 hrs and hydrocodone i think 500 every 8 hrs. I still get the chills when the drugs wear off. Not sure which one is doing this?? Has anyone had the same reaction?

I plan to talk to my dr again on mon. I only took ibuprofen through the night to test this and still had chills. Not sure which drug is doing this. Could the ibuprofen be doing this? Or the narcotic, hydrocodone? Hmmm.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Meds making me get the chills and shake...

• Unless you are in major pain, maybe just switch to Tylenol, and take the normal OTC dose.
  • Totally normal and probably not related to the drugs or the c/s at all. Lots of women get either the chills or sweats after delivery and it can come and go and last for several weeks pp. The cause is hormonal. For me it was the chills and it lasted for several weeks. I don't remember exactly when it stopped but I do remember asking my ob about it at my 2 week checkup so I know it was at least that long. Hopefully it will subside soon but I wouldnt worry about the drugs. If you still need them take them until your pain level is manageable without. Good luck and congrats on your new LO!
  • Loading the player...
  • Shouldn't be having withdrawel symptoms after only a week.. but then again everyone is different. maybe your just allergic to codeine?
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • eav2ceav2c member
    It could be hormones. I was having similar issues with my pain killers... I took myself off of them a few days after due to a rash. The pain killers weren't helping with chills but they turned out to not be the main culprit. If you are feeling up to it, I'd just take regular strength pain killers. Once I was off everything that was making me fe wacky the chills and other hormornal things weren't as big of a deal.
  • imagemanbearpig31610:
    Totally normal and probably not related to the drugs or the c/s at all. Lots of women get either the chills or sweats after delivery and it can come and go and last for several weeks pp. The cause is hormonal. For me it was the chills and it lasted for several weeks. I don't remember exactly when it stopped but I do remember asking my ob about it at my 2 week checkup so I know it was at least that long. Hopefully it will subside soon but I wouldnt worry about the drugs. If you still need them take them until your pain level is manageable without. Good luck and congrats on your new LO!

Ditto.  I had the same thing happen after my vaginal delivery and I wasn't on narcotics at all.   I doubt you would be having such noticeable withdrawal symptoms so soon, but I could be wrong.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah I agree with some of the PP's...sounds like hormones to me.  Nearly 6 weeks later and I still get chilled AND have night sweats.  There are days where my husband is wearing shorts and a t-shirt and I have on jeans and a long sleeved shirt.  The chills come and go, but I doubt its from the pain pills.  
  • Almost 2 yrs later after C/S I still sometimes get a chill.

I'm currently pregnant with #2.

I read that the chill could be a side effect from epidural. 

• I had this, it got better and now I am not experiencing the chills/ shakes any longer. I am still on the same dosage...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"