Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

On-demand vs Scheduled feeding for newborns (x-posted)

Hi everyone!

So - I know that newbies are supposed to be fed every 2-3 hours max, but our little guy now seems to go through spurts of wanting to eat more during the day and slowing down at night - which we are GRATEFUL for, don't get me wrong (he started out in party mode late at night) - but I am wondering if it's too early to go by what he wants? For example - he ate well, and then 3 hours later I woke him to eat again and he only nursed for 8 mins on one side and then passed out and would not be interested at all in nursing after being burped/changed/etc. Just wanted to sleep or cuddle w/ mommy and sleep :)

The alternative of course, is that if he snacks for these short periods and then doesn't want any more, I can wake him again in an hour and try again. But I am a little selfish and want that sleep. I talked to a friend of mine about it and she said her DD was gaining well and she just did on-demand feeding and co-slept. We have him in a portable co-sleeper crib but are not co-sleeping.

He was a big baby (9lb11oz) when he was born last Monday, but lost almost a lb and has been regaining since. He is well over 9 again now.I have a ped appointment tomorrow for the official weigh-in. I'm almost afraid to ask bc it makes me seem selfish for wanting to sleep instead of waking my baby to feed more but I had a c/s and didn't sleep at all for the last week in the hospital and feel like I can really use it to take care of LO better.

Anyway - thoughts? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: On-demand vs Scheduled feeding for newborns (x-posted)

• Options
    My pediatrician said that once LO got back up to his birth weight, he could go 4-5 hours between feedings at night instead of 2-3.  Of course, every child is different so ask your ped.
  • Options

Thanks! That makes sense.

imageMUPPETinMA:
    My pediatrician said that once LO got back up to his birth weight, he could go 4-5 hours between feedings at night instead of 2-3.  Of course, every child is different so ask your ped.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Once they're back up to birth weight you don't need to wake to feed.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

As long as he is getting 8-12 feedings in 243hrs, I would not wake him. I nurse on demand, but he already wakes every 3hrs. I only woke him up when we were still in the hospital.

*24hrs 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMUPPETinMA:

This is what my pedi said, if you LO has a weight problem later on they may recommend you pick up feedings again, but definitely agree that after reaching birth weight night feedings can be spaced out. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'd just feed on demand as long as you aren't concerned about weight.   

FWIW, I feel as though when babies cross over the 10 lb mark, they tend to sleep for longer stretches.  This has held true with both of my kids- as soon as they hit 10 lbs, they slept at least 5 hrs at night, if not longer.  Enjoy the rest! 

• Options
    Don't wake a sleeping baby! Babies aren't dumb and they know when they need to eat. Just enjoy your sleep 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    Once they have gained back their birth weight, you do not need to wake them up to feed them anymore.  However, you should still feed on demand ( as in when they cry for food not at a scheduled time in your mind). During the day, they'll probably eat more often but if not, try for every two to three hours.  
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Very very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"