Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

breastmilk to formula

Has anyone switched over to formula after breastfeeding? If so, did you notice any sleep changes in your LO? I've heard from several people that their LO's were formula fed and STTN.  My Lo is 4 months old and has never STTN, at this point I would be ecstatic with only two wakings...but she is up all night.  Sometimes 3 times in 2 hours.  I am getting no sleep and its hard to function.  We've tried everything - the RnP, the crib, pick up put down, the 5 s's, the binky, rocking, patting, etc....just wondering if this would make a difference. 

Re: breastmilk to formula

• Options

Full disclosure- I haven't switched from bm to formula so this is all assumption.

From what you're describing I don't think formula would help much. It seems a lot like 4 month wakeful. 4mw has more to do with development and growing than actual hunger. It can be hell but it's usually pretty temporary. 

If you want to experiment with formula to see if it helps with sleeping you could try giving LO a bottle for her last feeding before bed and see what happens. (you  might want to pump for your own comfort and to stave off supply drop if you do it several days in a row)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemnewlee:

From what you're describing I don't think formula would help much. It seems a lot like 4 month wakeful. 4mw has more to do with development and growing than actual hunger. It can be hell but it's usually pretty temporary.

This exactly.

I had to start supplementing with formula in the past month to help with LOs weight gain. It has NOT helped him sleep better. If anything, his sleep is worse. That may be due to other factors as well, but one major issue is the gas he gets from the formula bottles.

As a mom that wishes she could BF exclusively, I encourage you to keep at it! The 4 mo wakeful is real thing. Hopefully it will get better in time. GL! :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Also, it is true that formula takes longer to digest than BM, but it sounds like your LO is not waking b/c of hunger, but of other reasons. 

Im reading The No Cry Sleep Solution and there is some great info in there to help you figure out why your LO is sleeping poorly and suggestions of how to help solve those problems. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sound like a sleep/developmental thing, not a hunger/food thing. I would probably start some gentle sleep training. Consistent bedtime routine, give her a few minutes to try to settle and if she gets upset then pick up/put down or shh pat in crib. Formula will not teach her how to sleep or self soothe and may just upset her stomach if she's not used to it. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD started STTN when she was 4 months old and EBF.  She's getting BM and formula now and I've noticed no changes in her sleep.  Now she's not getting 8 oz of straight formula before bed like some FF babies but I don't think formula is the magical trick for STTN some people think it is.  Besides you didn't mention that she's getting up all night to eat, so the food is probably not your problem.  She may just be a night owl or a baby who hasn't gotten her circadian rhythm down yet.  I feel for you though; I'm hardly functional when I do get her to sleep all night. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with all the previous posts but if you think some of the waking are from hunger then also make sure LO is getting enough feedings/calories during the day. She may be getting most of her calories during night and not during the day. 

However it sounds like the 4 month wakeful period. We went thru the same thing and starting formula did not help. Sleep training helped the most.  

Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"