Postpartum Depression
Options

ppa-when to know if it's a real problem?

i had our 2nd child 5.5 mths ago and have been dealing with some anxiety ever since. i have these panic moments-usually in the middle of the night-where i wake up in a complete state of panic but for no rational reason. i know it's not rational but it doesn't help me calm down. aside from those (which happen about every 2 weeks or so) i just have a general feeling of dread/anxiety that lingers most of the day but is definitely worse in the evenings and when trying to go to sleep. i often feel short of breath and like a weight is on my chest. anxiety/depression run in my family but i have never truly dealt with it in this way before. i am sure the inconsistent sleep is contributing to it but there isn't much i can do about that. i am able to sleep when i get the chance-although it does usually take me 20 or so minutes to fall asleep. 

anyway, i guess what i'm getting at is that i don't know if this is truly ppa and something that needs to be addressed or if it will eventually just get better over time. thoughts? thanks! 

Re: ppa-when to know if it's a real problem?

• Options
    That certainly sounds like a problem I would get checked out.  I also have feelings of dread and anxiety for most of the day, and I am currently changing my medication.  I don't think it is something that will just go away on its own.  You should definitely go to your doctor and tell him what is happening.
  • Options
    oh please please please see your OB or general practitioner! I felt the same way immediately postpartum and took two weeks of being anxious before I said anything to anyone about how I was feeling. I've been doing much better with both medication and "talk therapy" with a counselor. It's a terrible way to feel and it's possible to feel better with the right kind of help! 
    + OPK July 6, 2011 IUI with anonymous donor sperm July 7, 2011 BFP July 21, 2011 Baby Girl Harper born via emergency C-section 3/22/12!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree, talk to your doctor. I am going through something similar...my son is 1 month old, but I started getting extreme anxiety about 2 weeks ago. I started meds last week and may be starting therapy soon as well. You'll feel better just doing something about it. 
  • Options
    Please don't hesitate to ask for help. Any amount of depression or anxiety is a real problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"